Genesis Top End Removal?

Rob Mitch

This morning I was planning on removing the end caps of my Genesis redtop to sand and repaint. Every attempt to remove the 7/16" nuts resulted in the whole bolts turning.

Looks like I will have to paper over the red porcelain before restoring and painting the two end caps.

Other solutions?

Rob

Rob, if you can't get the end caps off, don't sweat it. Just tape off the rest of the hood, rough the surface up and paint it as is. That's how I have done most of my restores.

Or do not worry about saving the old nuts and bolts, just 'butcher' the old nuts off (quite easy) and replace with a good looking set of SS fittings.

In idea as to why they would use those hollow nuts and not "real" ones?
I was able to get mine off today by tapping a small screwdriver between the end piece and the hood flange.
This provided enough tension to hold the bolt still.

In idea as to why they would use those hollow nuts and not "real" ones?

$$$$ And they're self tapping so no need for actual threads. A bit newer end panels had studs in the casting so the OP's problem is eliminated.

I've also used the tiny screwdriver trick when using my thumb to apply pressure wasn't enough.

Using a small flathead screwdriver as leverage, I was able to remove all the nuts off the bolts and thus remove the two ends of the top. Now to sandblast the two ends for painting. Thanks everyone.

Back