Genesis Silver B?

His frame is different and he has the handle extensions which will not allow you to insert a dowel all the way through the frame. He can get about a 1/2" dowel down through the extension though.

I have also found that sometimes where the nut fitting into the plastic handle, bulges out, so putting the screw back in a few threads and gently tapping that bolt in pushes the nut in and allows a little extra movement. I have also carefully heated the metal near the handle with a smaller butane torch, softens the plastic enough to give a little more room, without totally wrecking the handle.

You're fighting 2 forces. Corrosion of the internal frame plus the slight swelling (not really swelling but I don't know what else to call it) that occurs to the plastic itself. Eventually they want to weld themselves together. Plenty of penetrating oil but also try some heat (not a torch) but a heat gun on low or maybe a hair dryer. A little warmth in there would likely help things out

Larry, I tried all those things on my last one. I tried pounding it out with a wood dowl and 2 lb hammer. I soaked it over about a week with PB blaster. I tried a propane torch at various stages of heat. I got to the point that smoke from the burning PB Blaster and plastic were billowing out the extension and still it would not budge with the dowel and hammer. It never budged a MM. I wound up cutting the extension off of it.

I have come up against several over the years that just are not going to come out without getting destructive. In those cases, I decide if I need the extension more than the handle. If I need the extension. I just break the handle off, use a big drill bit to drill down the middle of the handle flange and then use a sawzall to cut up the rest of the handle flange until I can get it out. It amazes me how stubborn the handles can be bonded into the frames. I actually bent the frame on my last attempt and had to do some rewelding to fix it.

It is one of those things where I wish someone had a secret trick to share for those really bad ones. I have tried everything I can think off and some just won't cooperate.

Back