Genesis Silver B - swing table "alternative" / DIY option

Clean inside and out. New Burners, Flavorizer Bars, Ignitor, Wheel Caps plus replace knobs and igniter rocker to dyed black ones. and then sell it. It was a Free Curb Alert. I already have some New Stainless Streel Grill Grates.
Im intrigued on the Black Ignition rocker and knobs?

Yes, it looked like the user started to clean it up but, gave up after they priced the parts needed to restore it. Grease tray looked almost new. He put it out with a cover and a free tank. I got the cover, but someone snatched up the tank. This picture is what it looked like when I got it.
incredible score! You guys seems to get the good stuff over there ;)

I do not really plan on making much money on it. It is more used to make a video of it to share. If I at least get back the cash, I put into it I will be happy.
Since you got it for free you definitely shouldn't lose money on a transaction taking in account your time and skill, not to mention any parts.

sorry - do you do any initial prep for them? other than clean?
might do mine this afternoon
I clean them with dawn and hot water with a little Clorox bleach added. Rinse well and dry
Boil a pot of water to until your reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add dye. regulate temp maintaining 200 degrees. Stir dye add plastic parts.
Leave until they take color.
I still have not figured out what is the best length of time, but I usually leave them a min of an hour stirring occasionally.
Not sure if the following step is needed but,
I put cold water in a separate pot and remove dyed parts with tongs and put them in the cold water to cool them off.
Once cold I place them on a paper towel and let dry.

I did not account for the lip on top back though. You can see my pics of that of how it has a little bit of a curling end. That may be 1/8 of an inch.

20230510_091203.jpg

During the process, or once complete, please share pics with the community, it helps others on this site that might want to attempt this mod.
Of course, have been using CAD to try and work out the best/cost effective way of creating something. I don't want to go mad with costs on it.. I'm looking down the lines of a single piece of wood? Potentially a chopping board that can Routed and/or cut to the shape/size needed

The one concern is the bracket shape and connecting point requires a little bit of a ledge that the back of the Weber board has... Could be difficult to recreate?

Then I have found a "stone effect" paint which seems to be a similar effect to the thermoset one already there.

Will keep you posted 👍

David,
Love following your adventure. I might have one of those tables I could spare, but as has been mentioned, shipping would be VERY expensive. On the other hand, all you are going through to replicate might make that cost worthwhile.

PM me if you want to discuss.

I clean them with dawn and hot water with a little Clorox bleach added. Rinse well and dry
Boil a pot of water to until your reach 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add dye. regulate temp maintaining 200 degrees. Stir dye add plastic parts.
Leave until they take color.
I still have not figured out what is the best length of time, but I usually leave them a min of an hour stirring occasionally.
Not sure if the following step is needed but,
I put cold water in a separate pot and remove dyed parts with tongs and put them in the cold water to cool them off.
Once cold I place them on a paper towel and let dry.
Hi Samuel,

quick question on this - would you use 1 or 2 bottles of the rit dyemore?

thanks

I have my first mockups made of the table.. the one on the left is a mistake.. I didn't add the drop and the lengths correctly like an idiot!

Right one has been sanded and cut to the same sizes that were give to me. No curved edges on this table.. I figured if the sizing and attachment to table can be nailed down.. then I can work on the aesthetics later on.

I m waiting on the bracket coming over from you guys in the States. Once I have that the next step is working how to get the bar to connect whilst being smooth on movement
Possibly some fabricated metal pieces... Or the same wood with measure blocks and holes with small diameter metal tubing "pressed" in

The easy part was making the table really haha
IMG-20230516-WA0000.jpg

Back