Genesis Silver B- Restoration newbie

Chiku

TVWBB Member
I know I posted that i picked up S 320 for 225 in excellent condition and after little cleanup its almost like new. Thanks to advice on angle grinder/wire cup brush.

But looking at various comments about Cart based Weber (being very good etc) and restoration is not too bad, i gathered courage for my project to restore Weber Silver B - Got for 20$.

Little to no rust on Frame , just cleaned up with water , started looking decent already from inside.

Any initial advice to get started on this and also advice on parts. For sure it needs flavorizer, Grates and Burner tubes.

Here are pictures , and more questions/need of advice will follow.

O2Odvhi

Last edited:
For flavorizer bars, the go to is RCPlaneBuyer on EBay. You spend a little more, but will last a very long time. For the frame, Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint. We all use it. For the outside of the lid, start with 0000 steel wool. Genesis are always wonderful grills.

If you have the time and patience, I'd recommend a frame off restoration. Pull the knobs off the control panel. Look underneath the plastic endcap on the right side and you should see two screws. Remove them to lift off control panel.

IMG_2239_zpsnr6gl2jo.jpg

In the pic above, see the two bolt heads on the right hand side of the firebox sitting between the burners? On the ouside of the frame, under where the control panel was, you should find two corresponding wing nuts holding the manifold bracket to the frame. Remove those and also detach the wire hook on the right side and remove the manifold. This will free up the burners to be removed.

See the two screws on the far left holding the front and back burners down ? DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THOSE. leave them alone, just slide the burners out from underneath them. When you put new burners in, they should slide back in easily under the bolts.

On the left hand side of the frame next to the firebox you'll see a bolt that holds the firebox in place. Remove that bolt. It may be very stubborn and might require some PBBlaster or some similar rust treatment. Some have resorted to drilling it out if need be, but that can be a PITA so should only be a last resort. Whatever happens, you will want to replace that bolt with one that is stainless steel.

The top lid is held on by two clevis pins at the hinge. Take those out and remove the lid. Some people opt to leave the lid in one piece, clean up the insides, mask things off then paint the side panels in place. Others opt to disassemble the lid and remove the side panels. Either way works, though the latter is obviously more thorough, and you wouldn't have to bother masking anything when painting.

The exterior of the side panels and the lower firebox actually looks pretty good. I'd just give it a good cleaning/degreasing and then paint with Rustoleum High Heat that Bob recommended. The High Heat is flat, the High Heat Ultra is more of a gloss finish. Your choice as to which you prefer. I like the Ultra better.

I'm in the midst of cleaning up one in very similar condition. One thing I'll add is that the inside of the lid cleaned up very nicely with some oven cleaner and SOS pads. That combo took every bit of the carbon and grease buildup off. Those same pads and magic eraser pads are useful in some of the other spots too. I left the lid together and masked off the end panels for painting. Very easy.

As DaveW suggests, spend a little more and go with High Heat Ultra. I used the non-ultra for the back of my doors. I just don't think it would look right for the frame. Good luck!

Thanks Dave for detailed instructions. I tried PBBlaster , but didn't work and broke half way when taking it out. I have to now think about drilling it out. Any guidance on how to do this?

You're welcome. Sucks that the bolt broke off. Do you have any angle grinder? Or are you willing to invest $10 - 15 in one from harbor freight? if so, use a cutoff wheel to take off most of the bolt as close to the firebox as you can. Then carefully use a grinding wheel to make the remainder of the bolt stub level with the firebox. then use a very small oxide drill bit to make a pilot hole through the piece of the bolt. Repeat with incrementally larger bits until the piece of bolt breaks free.

Last edited:
Thank you , Will get Rustoleum High Heat Ultra . For cutting and Sanding the bolt I used dremel tool ( I had), next action is to drill. Will keep updated.

I have had to drill out those 2 bolts. What I did was drill out the holes well enough to accept stainless steel carriage bolts with the head to the inside. Then used stainless wing nuts on the outside. Worked wonderfully.

I have had to drill out those 2 bolts. What I did was drill out the holes well enough to accept stainless steel carriage bolts with the head to the inside. Then used stainless wing nuts on the outside. Worked wonderfully.

Good Idea Michael on Carriage bolts/Wing nuts. I already drilled it out safely. Next step is to prepare (sand/clean) the firebox for Painting with High heat ultra, also need to cleanup/paint Frame.

I forgot to mention I filed out the holes I drilled to fit the square head of the carriage bolts which makes the manifold and burners easier to remove. Another tip (though I did not do it) get a couple small "E-Rings" to retain the bolts in the housing. Since I just now thought of this I know when I take my old Genesis apart here very soon (needs attention since it's been getting quite wobbly) I am going to use the E-ring trick LOL

Not paint, but grease from the years of cooking.

Keep cleaning and you'll be down to the porcelain finish.

Jeff

Not paint, but grease from the years of cooking.

Keep cleaning and you'll be down to the porcelain finish.

Jeff

Tried all options - Simple Green, Purple Powder, Fine Steel Wool, Oven cleaner (Easy off), its taking lot of effort, Any magical way to clean this faster. I tried sparying and leaving it for hours as well.

That is not paint peeling, as mentioned it's a porcelain finish. Elbow grease and a coarse steel wool pad is what I used and I got it all off. I also used a fair amount of cursing, but that's my secret sauce!

Back