Genesis Silver B igniter question

Oh, well dang. That does look cool. I am not sure, but I think the High Temp powder coatings might be safe from the fumes you get from the High temp regular paint.
They told me it was safe, as it was a high temp process. I ran it for awhile after I put back together and didn't notice any weird fumes or clouds of smoke so who knows? Since I've never cooked anything on it afterwards it may not matter.

The FGA (Fat and Grease Affiliation) states that vaporized beef fat and pork fat are safe and effective when applied to powder coated surfaces.
67.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot, including this one...

...but inquiring minds want to know, and there's only one way to find out. If gas wasn't so expensive, I'd say we all go to Steve's house and one of us distracts him while one of us prepares dinner on his garage grill.

So, I bought another igniter, cleaned the contacts and installed it with the ground wire tab facing down along the firebox. I tried it ten times, worked about five. Who knows why, but it’s time to move on.
While I’m on here, can anyone suggest a light that attaches to the handle to use at night?
Weber no longer makes the light for my grill, and the new one won’t fit. Thanks.

Jerry, if you bought another of the same brand from the same vender I would try another brand/vender. A new one should work every time.

Jerry, if you bought another of the same brand from the same vender I would try another brand/vender. A new one should work every time.
I bought the last one from a different vendor. I cleaned the contacts twice, the last with an emery board. And Shazam, it seems to be working well, knock on wood. I want to thank everyone for all your help.

It's very unusual that these grills don't start the first time every time as long as the igniter is working and there is no other problem. I'm sure Jerry is hooking them up right, there just isn't much to go wrong there. I replaced the original one on a 23 yr. old grill that still worked perfectly despite the fact that the collector box was almost completely rotted away. I think I would be looking at not enough gas flow at this point.

It's very unusual that these grills don't start the first time every time as long as the igniter is working and there is no other problem. I'm sure Jerry is hooking them up right, there just isn't much to go wrong there. I replaced the original one on a 23 yr. old grill that still worked perfectly despite the fact that the collector box was almost completely rotted away. I think I would be looking at not enough gas flow at this point.
It is strange to me was well...my experience is the same as yours, Steve. They take a licking and keep on ticking, as the saying goes. I've got a spare in the house that came with a grill I picked up but I've never needed to use it. Those piezo igniters are pretty rugged.

But now that it's working, I would give the terminal connections a good dose of dielectric grease or spray to protect them from the elements.

It is strange to me was well...my experience is the same as yours, Steve. They take a licking and keep on ticking, as the saying goes. I've got a spare in the house that came with a grill I picked up but I've never needed to use it. Those piezo igniters are pretty rugged.

But now that it's working, I would give the terminal connections a good dose of dielectric grease or spray to protect them from the elements.
Like you said, those piezo igniters are pretty rugged. I wouldn't even bother to do anything like that. My grill sits out in the elements year round and the igniter works every time for over twenty years. My only point was that if a good igniter won't start the grill on the first or second press, that it's time to start looking at other problems.

The igniter for the side burner on my E330 stopped working a few days ago. I cleaned it with 220 sand paper, cleaned the burner base, but it would not spark. Turns out one of the wires got disconnected when I changed the tank :rolleyes:

oops...

Last edited:
A couple suggestions on starting the grill. First, if it is a windy day, that can cause problems lighting the grill. If the gas is being blown out of the ignition area while trying to light it, it won't light very reliably. Also, the burner might not be full enough to push much gas out of the igniter holes by the igniter. This is especially a possibility if you routinely turn your tank off after every cook. The line can empty of pressure before your next cook and it takes a couple seconds for the gas to fill the line back up with LP after the valve is open.
Now for the disclaimer. This is not the preferred or officially recommended way to light a grill, but this is how I routinely light my grills. I leave the lid down, turn gas on at the tank, then the first valve. I wait about 2-3 seconds for gas to start flowing and then hit the button. The lid down helps prevent the wind causing issues. These grills can actually flame out after being lit on windy days, so wind playing heck with the gas near the igniter is definitely as possibility.

Aside from the wind (or in addition to it), I suppose that a mostly empty tank might have weak gas flow and thus be hard to light as well.

Back