Genesis Silver B/C series vs the x000 models - difference in performance?

I have a Genesis 3000 which I really like, and though my porcelain drip pan is in good shape I know it will start corroding at some point.

Since the Silver B/C series are very common in my area, I was thinking about picking one up as a backup grill. I know the firebox isn't as deep, and it doesn't have the extra row of flavorizers. I take it that limits the size of things I can rotisserie (such as a turkey.)

Beyond that, however, what other differences would I see between the two series? Do the later models have even heat; can they reach the same 500+ degree temps as my 3000?

In short, what would I be giving up with one of those slightly newer models?

You have all the differences pretty well down. Roto work is better on the deep box. Typically a bit more even heat,
For most people, the Silver B/C is a simpler and less expensive grill to maintain. The performance for a lot of people isn't really much of an issue.

You have all the differences pretty well down. Roto work is better on the deep box. Typically a bit more even heat,
For most people, the Silver B/C is a simpler and less expensive grill to maintain. The performance for a lot of people isn't really much of an issue.
Were there any functional changes from the Silver models with the thermometer on the right (like the earlier Genesis x000) to the later ones with the thermometer in the middle of the lid?

I have a Genesis 3000 which I really like, and though my porcelain drip pan is in good shape I know it will start corroding at some point.

Since the Silver B/C series are very common in my area, I was thinking about picking one up as a backup grill. I know the firebox isn't as deep, and it doesn't have the extra row of flavorizers. I take it that limits the size of things I can rotisserie (such as a turkey.)

Beyond that, however, what other differences would I see between the two series? Do the later models have even heat; can they reach the same 500+ degree temps as my 3000?

In short, what would I be giving up with one of those slightly newer models?
One thing you would be giving up is the inability to get a new drip tray as they can not be found anymore.

I had a silver B and my 2000 side by side for awhile before I sold the B. As for flat out grilling performance I did not notice any real difference. The B heated up a tiny bit faster but overall once hot they both were hot and both stayed that way.

I actually prefer the Silver over the earlier Genny in nearly all areas except one...looks. But be forewarned that I use GrillGrates with both grills and that tends to negate the advantage a deeper 13-bar cookbox might have over the 5- bar cookbox the Silver has. That shallow 5-bar box heats up much faster (the burner tubes have significantly higher heat output on the Silver...our Siver C is rated 48,000BTU, the G1200 is rated 35,000) and with less metal mass and less area to heat it comes up to temp quicker, just the thing for quick after work meal prep (wait a minute, I'm retired!).

I love rotisserized food and the early Gennys have a distinct clearance advantage, but I haven't found it to be a problem for the foods we cook...but that's why I have both grills. My goto is the early Genny for roto-ing, but I have roto'ed on the Silver, too, no problem.

As for thermometers, their most valuable use for me is so I can tell from a distance if I run out of propane. They are very helpful for setting and maintaining temps in windy or other weather-related conditions, too. Intuitively, it seems like center mounting would be the most accurate, but I set the gas valves the same on both grills and get the same great results, so it really doesn't matter where the thermo is located, for me it's more about learning how the grill cooks.

I would pick up a cheap Silver and compare and then keep the one I liked best, but i like them both so I alternate.

Last edited:
I have both and use the Platinum C as my daily driver and Platinum 13 bar for roto cooking. As other people have stated, the B/C does get up to temp. a little faster but performance wise they are about the same.

Yeah, it's like 0-60mph 3 seconds faster one versus the other but it only matters on the drag strip. Day-to-day driving you likely won't notice the difference. But it does lend a different "feel" to the grill.

The Silver is 1" taller at grill level and they are exactly the same frame width, but the G1200 feels more sleek and streamlined because the tables fit within the frame, vs a more "burly" feel with the Silver with its thermoset tables mounted outside the frame, and the end handles that the early Genny doesn't have. I love the enclosed cabinet on the Silver so I can store my junk but I live in an relatively arid climate (minimal rust issues) and it does give a place for the Black Widows to hang out.

The one thing I really like about the Silver C is the left and right flip up tables for the large amount of work space. I have a C with a side burner but actually prefer one without a side burner.
Mine heats up and runs with even heat now that I replaced the hose and regulator. Runs like a new one. 2004 and still runs great and you can get quality parts it beats the cheapo grills all day long, plus great customer service.

Kevin: You can remove the side burner and simply replace it with a thermoset table. Very simple.

Silver heats up a bit faster and is a bit more prone to uneven heating and flare-ups. Which is what you'd expect with a shallower cook box, and 5 flav bars vs. 13.

Like Ed P, I use GGs on my Silver B which helps with those things. The GGs are sort of like adding a second layer of flav bars to the Silver. They also made my Silver run a little hotter than before, which was nice.

A footnote to set the record straight: my G1200 is bone stock (with the exception of adding a RH swing table) with the original regulator. I had trouble with it coming up to temp a couple of weeks ago that I attributed to the OPD, and resetting it seemed to correct the problem. Then a few days ago I went to use it and propane was blowing past the vent hole in the regulator. I replaced it with the correct replacement:

This one

It made a world of difference. I retract with apologies what I said earlier about the Silvers heating up quicker than the early Gennys. With 3 burners on high, by the time I made up a couple of smoke bombs and put a prime rib roast on the spit, when I returned to the grill the thermo was pegged. It don't get no better than that.

Last edited:
I also have had both a Silver C and a 1000 I gave to my daughter. Maybe unlike others since I let Costco and Kroger do the spinning so the rotis means nothing to me and I find the Silver heats up way faster than the 1000 ever did it also can cruise at 600 if you wish will on the front and middle burner run to 550. The 1000 pretty much cruised at 550 maxed out which did not give me the sear the C does if you even care about that. Both grills had new therms and yes I get it they aren't that accurate but I believe for comparison temps they are good enough.

I have stainless rod grates never noticed any uneven heating using the front and middle burner not talking about meat on the left and right side the far left and right maybe its uneven there really don't know. Maybe its me and what I cook but not more noticeable on flare ups either but I do clean my large drip tray having a glass of cab or two once a month.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one (Silver or early Genny). What I like about roti's is that there are very little "drippings", which kinda sucks if you're a gravy lover...unless you are brining, of course, which I do for whole chickens and turkey..but the juice stays in the meat for the most part, rather than settling to the lowest point.

In my nearly 73 years, I have never bought roti'ed food from a market, so I have no basis for comparison. Food cooking under heat lamps for who knows how long, I dunno, kind of a turn-off for me, that and I hate shopping so I'm always in man-on-a-mission mode in markets...I should probably try it, though.

I was getting a stable 250F with the front burner on LOW (LOO) and a water pan under the roast. It was too low to get the smoke bomb lit so I resorted to the smoke tube, which overdid it on the smoke for our tastes. I rely on the Meater for our roti cooks and it works well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one (Silver or early Genny). What I like about roti's is that there are very little "drippings", which kinda sucks if you're a gravy lover...unless you are brining, of course, which I do for whole chickens and turkey..but the juice stays in the meat for the most part, rather than settling to the lowest point.

In my nearly 73 years, I have never bought roti'ed food from a market, so I have no basis for comparison. Food cooking under heat lamps for who knows how long, I dunno, kind of a turn-off for me, that and I hate shopping so I'm always in man-on-a-mission mode in markets...I should probably try it, though.

I was getting a stable 250F with the front burner on LOW (LOO) and a water pan under the roast. It was too low to get the smoke bomb lit so I resorted to the smoke tube, which overdid it on the smoke for our tastes. I rely on the Meater for our roti cooks and it works well.
Interesting about the smoke. I think we have decided that we prefer chicken on the gasser better than the kettle for the same reason. Meat is the opposite.

Interesting about the smoke. I think we have decided that we prefer chicken on the gasser better than the kettle for the same reason. Meat is the opposite.
When I put a smoke bomb on the front flav bar, at some point it will catch fire, wnich negates the smoke effect, so I add extra pellets/chips to compensate. I emptied the contents of the rwo smoke bombs I had prepped into the smoke tube, started it with a torch, got it smoking, and put it on the front flav bar. It did not catch fire at the low temp so I got the full effect...whew! Smokey! But it's a new technique to explore, front burner on Low with a smoke tube might be just the ticket for the right amount of smoke for us...

Back