Genesis Junior - What to do?

Aaron Morris

TVWBB Member
So I have another thread where I'm trying to clear out my other BBQ's including my genesis silver B. I have on the side of my house a Genesis Jr. that came from my dad's lakehouse property.

I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with this guy. I can't bring myself to take it to the dump, becuase they aren't really common.. I've thought about either refurbishing it or parting it out. For a refurb, it would probably cost a few bucks. It needs new grates (which I'd have to custom cut), new flavorizers (which Rcplanebuyer on ebay sells), new side table brackets, all new wood, new igniter and probably a new hose for safety. I don't imagine it'd be a cheap project. The burners are in pretty decent shape, but that's what worries me.. once they go.. no replacements, right?

What do you guys think? Anyone still actually want these things?

If you do decide to part it out I would be very interested in the swing up table and the hardware that goes with it. I have a genesis 3000 I'm restoring and it's missing the swing up table and the brackets. Also the wheels I could use as they look better than the ones I have.

Another idea would be to make a cart out of the frame and wheels. I made one out of a genesis 1000, comes in real handy for all kinds of things.

carts%20006_zpsjayhlpcx.jpg

I would NOT part it out.

Even though its missing a bunch of things these grills are not common, therefore desirable.

I would list it for sale at $200.

Have a look at this one on eBay. They are asking $850. which I highly doubt they will get .... but it's valuable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291513045081

Last edited:
I do a lot of refurbs on Genesis 1000-3000s and a few others. I know in this area the two burners on Craig's list which I check everyday seldom are listed for more than $75-100, mostly in the $50 range. The guy on EBay is in La La land at the price he's asking. They aren't bad grills and if your going to use it by all means restore it. But what you're going to put into it I seriously doubt you will ever recover the costs. Also parts for the three burners are much easier to find than the two burners.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck .

I do a lot of refurbs on Genesis 1000-3000s and a few others. I know in this area the two burners on Craig's list which I check everyday seldom are listed for more than $75-100, mostly in the $50 range. The guy on EBay is in La La land at the price he's asking. They aren't bad grills and if your going to use it by all means restore it. But what you're going to put into it I seriously doubt you will ever recover the costs. Also parts for the three burners are much easier to find than the two burners.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck .

Yeah I thought for half a second about trying to pickup cheap ones them fix restore etc and flip but there's no money in it

But that hasn't stopped me from acquiring them

It was not a good idea when they made it and IMO is still not a good idea which is why they (Weber) dumped it. If it works and you can use it fine but they are not "desirable" although you never know. I do see some people collecting the old Weber kettle gas grill (which was another loser). I'm sorry I don't want to rain on your parade but I've never seen one of the Juniors draw more than $30 to $50 even in pristine condition...........................YMMV

I too would buy it to restore, except for the fact that I am in Toronto, Canada.

I am in the process of completely restoring a Genesis 2000 for myself.

Here is something to think about....

31 years ago I bought a 1971 VW Bug for $800. in pristine condition. At the time in Southern California, VW Bugs (and 60's Porsches) were a dime a dozen and not worth anything. They were not desirable at all. Well.... fast forward to now and the quirky/unique design of those cars have put their value through the roof.

I decided that I wanted to own a Red Weber Genesis 1000 recently. I decided this because of their quirky/unique design, compared to generic stainless BBQ's available now.
I can afford to go out and buy ANY new BBQ I want, but I choose to restore a Genesis.

I ended up buying a Genesis 2000. (haha for $10.)

I have purchased EVERY single part for it brand new. I have replaced every fastener with Stainless and I am having the frame professionally powder-coated etc.
When I am finished I will have a grill better than the original.

The important issue here is that I choose the vintage BBQ over purchasing new. I did this NOT out of economies, but out of the desirability of the aesthetics of the vintage grill. I will have a lot of money in my grill, pretty much the same as buying a new grill.

This is exactly the same situation as when I owned my VW bug. They were worth nothing at the time. As the population got sick of the generic looking cars people stated to appreciate the unique cars such as the Bug.

I TRULLY believe the Weber Genesis 1000 and it's variations could become the next VW Bug....
Something to consider...

Yeah I thought for half a second about trying to pickup cheap ones them fix restore etc and flip but there's no money in it

But that hasn't stopped me from acquiring them

I've never lost money on the 6 or 7 I've done, usually make about $50-$100 on each one. Being retired it gives me something to tinker with. Once cleaned up and working correctly the three burners are listed on Craig's list and for the most part sell in a day or two. But again I only do it during the BBQ season, when people are looking for grills.
One reason I'm successful is because there are so many out there I can pick and chose and only buy those that basically just need cosmetic work and are dirt cheap.
It's amazing how little people know about them. I picked up a couple that were very clean but wouldn't lite, replace the igniters for $12 and they worked perfectly.

Back