Genesis Jr Restoration

You will be surprised at how well it works.
Our Jr was our main source all last winter, it was easier to bring into the garage than any 3 burner and cooks just as well for the two of us

You will be surprised at how well it works.
Our Jr was our main source all last winter, it was easier to bring into the garage than any 3 burner and cooks just as well for the two of us
That's Great Hank! In Washington I use my two burner most of the time and it works so well! That's probably what I will do in AZ.

Great starting point with that one. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
I think so too! I'm not sure how far I want to take it but probably too far. I definitely want to put it to work when I'm done though. What do you think about refinishing the wood slats with black semitransparent stain so you can still see the wood grain? Or maybe sand down and clear like my red 2000?

I would sand them down and then restain them in a similar color to what they are now. I'm just not a big fan of the distressed wood look on a grill. You might be able to get away with what you're thinking of if the wood doesn't have any stains or discoloration when you finish sanding it.

I did that on my Genesis XX. I am guessing the old cedar was at least 30 years old. Sanding, light stain and lots of spar urethane brought the wood back to a look I was happy with, even given a little patina: 😊

View attachment 98952

View attachment 98953
Yeah I like it!!
That's similar to how the wood on my 2000 came out when I sanded it down and cleared it with Polly. So maybe this time I'll stain before I poly.

Thanks for sharing Jon! Looks great!!

Looks like the crossover burner tube is 13 7/8"
I thought it would be the same as my x000 grills at 13 1/2". I think 13 1/2" would be long enough to not fall out if it shifted all the way to one side.

Any thoughts or experiences with this from Genesis Jr owners?

I'm ordering burners from Steve on Etsy.
Not because mine are bad but because I don't want to be without a spare set.

20240828_231521~2.jpg

Try a crossover from a Genesis x000 and see if it's ok. I think it will be.
I don't have one here in AZ. But I think so too

The custom Burner Tube maker/seller on Etsy his name is Steve. I don't know him personally but he is probably on here. He is going to check and see what size crossover tubes he has in the morning and get back to me.

Last edited:

Back