Genesis II - Should I run a pipe for natural gas?

Would switch to NG, but I’m a huge “King of the Hill” fan.
Yup Hank Hill would probably be disappointed if you did switch to NG :cool:. All jokes aside, if I did have a choice now I would go with NG instead of LP. I did save some NG manifolds for my grills because I know I will make the switch sometime in the future.

If you can find out how much a Therm costs in your area, multiply that times 5.76. That is your cost for NG.

You will burn about 27lbs of propane in 12 hours, so almost 7 gallons of propane. A tank holds 20lbs, or 5 gallons, so each gallon weighs 4lbs. If you buy gas by the gallon, multiply that times 7. If you buy it by the lb, multiply that times 27.

Roughly. ;)

So what's the cost per hour full tilt on NG for a typical 48K BTU gasser if my cost per therm is $1.91 ?

I'm not getting the math ( it's late )

Thanks. So it's convenient, and less costly, but the cost savings would take a while to pay for the installation costs, so it really then becomes a convenience cost.

Put another way...a 3-burner Silver at full tilt will burn 1 gallon of propane in 1 hour 45 minutes. If you pay $5 per gallon for propane your cost is $5. That same 1 hour 45 minute run time would cost $1.61 at $1.91 per therm.

You guys talk about the Weber Flame heater...that is rated 62k BTU/h, more heat output than a 3-burner Silver wide open at 48k BTU/h.

I don't figure in installation costs because it's hard to rank what that would be. I see people getting ripped big time for that. Then I see someone else not. IMO it really should not cost much. The materials to do it are really cheap (usually just black iron pipe) and some fittings and dope. (the pipe kind not the ingestion kind).

I don't figure in installation costs because it's hard to rank what that would be. I see people getting ripped big time for that. Then I see someone else not. IMO it really should not cost much. The materials to do it are really cheap (usually just black iron pipe) and some fittings and dope. (the pipe kind not the ingestion kind).
Larry, I don't think the materials are the issue. I think the location and construction of the home is the issue. For instance, is the gas line between two floors in the ceiling with drywall? Or is it simply run below the main floor and easily accessed in the ceiling of an unfinished basement?
But, yah, I am sure some guys come out and jack up the price when they know they will get the job. Best to get some competing quotes.

I do not know if codes differ in your area but.. When I put in my pool, the gas line for the heater was attached between the meter and the house. A flexible tubing was run underground and terminated in black pipe. Not much cost in materials so you are at the mercy of labor. I would contact your gas company first for advice.

I would only run a line if I was sure I never wanted to move the grill or was installing an outdoor kitchen. You will probably never recover the cost. Convenience of never changing a tank is the big advantage. I opted out for mine as in addition, I would have needed a new grill.

You know, when we bought this house there was an old Sunbeam post set NG grill in the back yard so there is a stub out there, just not in what I would call “the best spot“ but, I can move some things around. I go back and forth about having the fitting replaced, the copper line runs under concrete, don’t know how big a project that would be. I just really don’t use that much gas. It still crosses my mind now and then

Just tap off that if you can find it. If the stub is in good shape you can use the newer CSST jacketed stuff. Fairly easy to work with. I did my tankless water heater with it. Takes some common sense and a regard for respecting gas. So no it's not like falling off a rock easy but it certainly is NOT hard

To get back to the original question, I have had both propane and NG. I absolutely love the NG setup. There is never, ever a fear of running out of gas, or even a "I wonder how much is REALLY left" kind of stuff, never an interrupted slow cook. Never a loose propane tank in the Jeep. It is just so much better. I think of it like, once the thing is in and it's paid, then I'll bounce back from the cost but boy was this worth it. You can remember how worth it it was during each grill. I still am actively glad to have NG and it has been over five years.

Back