Genesis Gold lid problem

G.A. Green

TVWBB Member
Folks - I've noticed my 4 year old Genesis Gold lid rusting very badly on the inside. Is that a typical problem? Seems like it should have lasted a bit longer?

Thanks for any response...

Your Hood is covered by warranty. Contact Weber CS. It is always good to take a photo of the affected area and have the model and serial number handy when you call.

Weber Stephen Products Co. ("Weber") warrants to the original purchaser of this Weber Charcoal Barbecue (providing it is assembled and operated in accordance with the printed instructions accompanying it) that it will be free from defects in material and workmanship from the date of purchase as follows:

a) Aluminium Castings 25 years
b) Paint 2 years
c) Porcelain Hood Section 25 years
d) Burners 10 years
e) Cooking Grills - Stainless Steel
(no rust through or burn through) 5 years
f) FlavorizerTM Bars - Stainless Steel
(no rust through or burn through) 5 years
g) Cooking Grills - Porcelain
(no rust through or burn through) 2 years
h) FlavorizerTM Bars - Porcelain
(no rust through or burn through) 2 years
i) Thermoplastic and Thermoset Parts
(excluding fading) 10 years
j) All Remaining Parts 2 years

It may not be rust. It may be just rust-colored carbonized grease from cooking. If you take a stiff bristle brush and a little water or a wadded up piece of aluminum foil and scrub and it returns to the original finish below, then it's not a problem.

Many a WSM owner has mistaken this build-up for rust, and it's not.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
It may not be rust. It may be just rust-colored carbonized grease from cooking. If you take a stiff bristle brush and a little water or a wadded up piece of aluminum foil and scrub and it returns to the original finish below, then it's not a problem.

Many a WSM owner has mistaken this build-up for rust, and it's not.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep! My guess is just gunk build up. If it's stainless, the only way stainless steel will rust if it comes in contack with mild steel. If you run a piece of mild steel on stainless it will rust only on the part that had come in contact with the mild steel as the iron deposits from the mild steel will rust. This is going back many years from my steel working days. It might not be quite right, but it's close.
icon_wink.gif

I am assuming the inside of the lid is porcelain coated enamel, no? Should not rust unless there's a defect in the finish.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I am assuming the inside of the lid is porcelain coated enamel, no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, what was I thinin' I'll claim a brain fart on this one.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back