Genesis Gold early 2000's not running right - have to turn on LP very slow

I don't like to leave the gas open even with safeties I worry about leaks.

What is interesting is that any tank I put on this grill has the problem but they work great on my other grill

To funny did not type fast enough so my question on the tank was answered, new regulator would be the next thing to try sounds like you changed out the manifold so that probably is not the problem.

Guys: I understand the issue with safety and what not and I personally shut off my tank after a cook. However, consider this: What about NG grills? Most don't have a shut off as far as I know. Also, as in my case, my house runs on Propane. I don't shut off gas to the oven/stove when I get done using it.

Like I said, I personally shut my tank off between cooks, but I don't stress out and go check to make sure I turned it off if I can't remember later on.

To funny did not type fast enough so my question on the tank was answered, new regulator would be the next thing to try sounds like you changed out the manifold so that probably is not the problem.

Right, it sounds to me like either the regulator or OPD in the tank is shutting off flow and in reality, they are doing what they should. That being said, I do also know that some tanks and regulators are not as sensitive to fast opening of the tank valve where others are.

I just try to remember to open my fairly slowly when I turn it on each time for all my grills and don't ever have to deal with the problem.

Guys: I understand the issue with safety and what not and I personally shut off my tank after a cook. However, consider this: What about NG grills? Most don't have a shut off as far as I know. Also, as in my case, my house runs on Propane. I don't shut off gas to the oven/stove when I get done using it.

Like I said, I personally shut my tank off between cooks, but I don't stress out and go check to make sure I turned it off if I can't remember later on.

I think its not an issue with your stove or water heater, my connection from the gas line to the water heater is stainless not sure what my gas stove has but for sure its not a rubber hose which I think is the problem on the grills. The rubber can degrade somehow get nicked so that is the problem. Its been many years over 26 since I had a nat gas grill really can't remember but I think the final connection to the grill was not rubber.

Hopefully for Jeff its just a bad regulator happened to me but it was the original so from 1996 that is a long time. When I do the 2nd Redhead just going to buy a new regulator they as you know are cheap enough why even screw around with it IMO.

Brian: My point is that if you don't need to shut off supply for NG appliances, it shouldn't be necessary to shut off the propane tank between cooks.

The point has really nothing to do with the lack of flow on the propane tank, I am just saying that you can probably just leave the propane tank on between cooks and not have to worry about turning it on "slowly".

I always turn the tank off then the control valves so no gas stays in the lines, maybe I should reverse that. When firing up I make sure the control valves are off and then turn the tank on and they turn on the first control valve.
My Silver B doesn't seem to care the speed I open the tank while the Gold B does, I have to crack it and then take about 1-2 seconds to open it and then it works fine. I rotate all my tanks, have 3 on 2 grills and my turkey oil-less fryer, doesn't matter what tank is on the gold all act the same. May try swapping the regulators and see if the problem follows the regulator, the silver B which is working fine has an older regulator and is probably time for an upgrade.

I always turn the tank off then the control valves so no gas stays in the lines, maybe I should reverse that. When firing up I make sure the control valves are off and then turn the tank on and they turn on the first control valve.
My Silver B doesn't seem to care the speed I open the tank while the Gold B does, I have to crack it and then take about 1-2 seconds to open it and then it works fine. I rotate all my tanks, have 3 on 2 grills and my turkey oil-less fryer, doesn't matter what tank is on the gold all act the same. May try swapping the regulators and see if the problem follows the regulator, the silver B which is working fine has an older regulator and is probably time for an upgrade.

Then if I understand you correctly then you are doing it wrong. Always turn the the control valves off first then the tank valve, you are tripping the OPD just try start from scratch to be safe meaning lets start by shutting down all the valves the control valves first then shut the tank valve off. Disconnect the tank from the regulator connection, now re-connect the tank turn on the tank valve then turn on the control valve and fire it up. When you are done shut the control valves off then shut the tank valve off.

Brian: My point is that if you don't need to shut off supply for NG appliances, it shouldn't be necessary to shut off the propane tank between cooks.

The point has really nothing to do with the lack of flow on the propane tank, I am just saying that you can probably just leave the propane tank on between cooks and not have to worry about turning it on "slowly".

Bruce I really am not trying to **** you off but this is from Weber so not from me does not matter whether its propane or natural gas this is what they suggest. This pertains to grills not your stove or your water heater.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/bu...-turning-off-the-fuel-source/weber-30503.html

Brian, no offense taken. Not in the least.
Like I said, I turn my tank off after a cook as well. Weber does explain the issue with wildlife outside possibly chewing through a line or something like that which explains why it isn't so important to turn off inside supply lines to the stove and oven as it is for a grill stored outside where mice and squirrels might chew into a rubber propane hose.

Then if I understand you correctly then you are doing it wrong. Always turn the the control valves off first then the tank valve, you are tripping the OPD just try start from scratch to be safe meaning lets start by shutting down all the valves the control valves first then shut the tank valve off. Disconnect the tank from the regulator connection, now re-connect the tank turn on the tank valve then turn on the control valve and fire it up. When you are done shut the control valves off then shut the tank valve off.

Brian I will try that in a couple days when the rain stops, getting another two days of rain, in fact my neighbor just moved his Weber into the ark he is building. I wonder if he is trying to tell me something...

Bruce I really am not trying to **** you off but this is from Weber so not from me does not matter whether its propane or natural gas this is what they suggest. This pertains to grills not your stove or your water heater.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/bu...-turning-off-the-fuel-source/weber-30503.html

You have to understand Weber HAS to say this or if they didn't some jerk would find a way to sue them to kingdom come. Remember the society we live in. Lawyers outnumber engineers by at least 10-1. So if you stub your toe at the mall there will be 50 ambulance chasers willing to go to court. Let's look at this logically. And first/foremost Jeff the reason you're having issues is your methodology of how you turn your grill off. Modern tanks and regulators have trip type safety devices to sense inordinate or sudden gas flow. So if you turn off the tank THAN the control panel you now have an empty line. Now you turn on the tank you have a giant slug of gas trying to fill the void and voila you trip one or both safety devices. Always turn the control panel off FIRST, than if you feel so compelled turn off the tank. Do the reverse when you grill again. Slowly turn on the tank than light the grill.
Now, IMO turning off the tank is folly. While I have a shutoff both in my basement and on the deck for my grill gas line I NEVER shut it off. Likewise when my water heater shuts off, or my gas range, my furnace and so on shut off I don't run outside and shut the gas off to the house. I honestly see no reason to constantly shut off the LP tank. The grill uses the very same type of valves a kitchen range uses, so what's the point?
I get it some people like to wear a belt AND suspenders and that's fine if so just do it in the correct order and you'll be fine

Actually back in the day before politically correct valves and regulators many folks would regularly leave the knobs in one place and simply turn the tank on/off

Back