Genesis Gold C Rehab

the previous owner(s) may have hillbilly'd it and drilled out the orifices
Nothing "hillbilly" about it. Unless you don't have a clue what you're doing and just "winging" it. I've done lots of them like that with no issues. But yeah too many YouTube videos on too many things that give bad even dangerous advice

So I am not sure if I have an issue or not. I am nearly finished rehabbing this Gold C which is now a Gold B after capping off the outlet at the manifold. Serviced the valves. Ordered new burners and a few other parts. Installed the new burners yesterday. No leaks. Testing on high. The top burner is perfect. The middle and lower have too much orange flame as evident in one of the pics. The only way I can get those two burners to a lesser orange is to open the shutters completely, which, I understand is against conventional wisdom. You can see the improvement in the character of the flame in the other pic. It’s also noisier (whistling) with the shutters completely open on those two and on high. Turning those two burners down a bit gives a perfect blue flame. I also did a burner swap with the top one to the bottom and made no difference, so, the new burners are fine. Is there an issue here, or, do I just use it with the shutters completely open on those two burners.

View attachment 89121View attachment 89122
I would open up the air adjusters on the front and middle burner.

At least check to make sure all three orifices are the same size. The difference between NG and LP is noticable, especially if you see them both at the same time. But, yah, the 3/64" drill bit will tell you definitively.

Could explain the blowtorch effect and how rich the F/A ratio is. Because if the orifice(s) were improperly sized but with proper pressures you would not find the need to play with the air shutters

After a couple of days of tinkering and trying to eliminate the issue, I finally figured it out today. I never got to the hardware store to get a 3/64 inch bit, as 1/16 was the smallest that I had. But I have one of my other rehabbed Silver LP grills that I kept for myself and pulled the manifold off, and looked at the orifices. They looked smaller. So I took them off, put them on the Gold C manifold that was baffling me, and the grill worked perfectly. I can only assume that the previous owner must have only changed the orifices to run it off NG, which we know is not smart, and left the original manifold. Now I have to find another set of orifices for my personal grill. Not easy to find in Canada.

Thanks Steve. But again, I am also working on that assumption that this manifold is LP and only the orifices were changed out. It seems to be working just fine though. It will be going to a good home. We have made friends with a family from Ukraine that came here to the Toronto area with their two kids when the missiles starting flying over their house two years ago. They sacrificed a very comfortable lifestyle and business mainly for the safety and security of their kids. I gave them my small portable Weber last year, but now I can give them something that will accommodate their family much better.

Back