Genesis Gold B Restoration Part 1

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
I thought I'd post a photo story of my recent Genesis Gold B restoration. The 2002 grill was a solid performer but over time had some defects such as a cracked cookbox and a rusted through SS hood liner. After some back and forth Weber agreed to honor the 25 year warranty and promptly supplied me with new lid and box. They did not have SS lids in stock so they sent a mica black w SS handle. Weber CS was 5-star and very helpful in this regard and I will just leave it at that.

JfkU3cG.jpg

The following pictures give you an idea of the grill's condition:

OBxJmcM.jpg

OWdF59D.jpg

ryoYMrU.jpg

VAIeEBV.jpg

The first issue I had to deal with was a severely rusted cross bar which bolts to the cookox. We all have that issue on older resto's but this rust was a beauty. I just bought some steel tube, cleaned it and after cutting out the old bar, replaced it using star connectors. I ground out some other rust spots and wound up doing some body work with filling primer and red cream. I basically spent a few weeks indoors, sanding, and filling and priming and getting ready for paint.

QsmlKQb.jpg

m7cWbli.jpg

GIvCcTB.jpg

X8U9E6f.jpg

qnq0nSG.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

I have a 2nd Gold C that I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing with, starting this afternoon. Thanks to the help of this site, I now know how!

Also, thanks to this site I now own (5) Genesis Silver or Golds in the last 2 MONTHS!!!!! It's alot cheaper than my other hobbies though...and the wife is very understanding (so far).

Wow KyleS, you have the Weberitis real bad! And it's almost summer! Pretty soon you'll have inventory rivaling DaveKC or Jon T!!

"Also, thanks to this site I now own (5) Genesis Silver or Golds in the last 2 MONTHS!!!!! It's alot cheaper than my other hobbies though...and the wife is very understanding (so far)."

Your not the only one this place has done that to.

Was this a personal grill that you bought new or was it a second hand grill. If it was second hand, how did you sneak that fact by Weber C/S for the warranty claim?

This looks awesome. Yes that crossbar can be a problem. Great job in fixing this. With a new fire box and lid you should get many more years out of it. I personally prefer the enameled lids because they don’t have that inner liner and are easier to clean.

Back