Genesis Gasser at Costco

John A. Winston

TVWBB Member
Costco has the Weber Genesis ll S-345, 3 Burner on sell for $1,000 in store. Any thoughts on this model. I have a 22” and 18” WSM, Performer and a older Summit looking to replace. Debating between a nice gasser or the new pellet grill. I am happy with my WSM’s and not sure I really need a pellet grill. Any thoughts or guidance.

I think it is a decent deal. That S-345 is a Costco specific model. It is a package deal with the S-335 which also includes the igrill3 thermometer and a cover.
HD sells the S335 grill itself for $1,050. The igrill3 and the cover are $200. You save about $250 with the Costco package.\
As for the Weber Pelllet grill. This one seems to have some severe issues. Do some research here in the Pellet grill section and on youtube.
Many people are not happy with it and reviews on Amazon and Lowe's are just bad.

I think it is a decent deal. That S-345 is a Costco specific model. It is a package deal with the S-335 which also includes the igrill3 thermometer and a cover.
HD sells the S335 grill itself for $1,050. The igrill3 and the cover are $200. You save about $250 with the Costco package.\
As for the Weber Pelllet grill. This one seems to have some severe issues. Do some research here in the Pellet grill section and on youtube.
Many people are not happy with it and reviews on Amazon and Lowe's are just bad.
Thanks

I think that it is a very good deal if you like stainless and a closed cart, as many do. I personally prefer this one:

Stefan is right that the SmokeFire has had a very controversial and not smooth launch. If you read through the many threads we have here you will eventually get a more balanced view. I think they are fixing some of the problems. Much of the issue is that Weber seems to have oversold what people could expect. It is NOT a low maintenance grill any more than competing pellet grills. Then, the desire to "open up" the firepot to the grates by using flavorizer bars rather than a solid shield, leaves you in trouble on low and slow cooks of high grease dripping things like pork shoulders. So, you have to use drip pans which weren't envisioned by Weber originally and aren't included. People are reporting excellent smoke and results when this grill works properly, however.

I have a Rec Tec RT-700 pellet grill which excels at low and slow but won't replace my gasser for searing a steak. If you are are successful WSM user, there may be little reason for you to even want a pellet grill.

Bruce is right on! I was only responding from the perspective of someone having already decided to buy an all-new Weber. To me, the Genesis II I linked at least combines some of the good things about the classic Genesis such as the open cart and red hood with some things I do like about the newer models such as the sear burner, extra nice thick stainless rod grates and handle light.

Given a choice, though, I would buy a well restored classic Genesis over a new one and save the money for something else - like maybe AN ADDITIONAL GRILL! With the money you save you can afford the best grates made and a whole bunch of handle lights!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice, starting to lean in the direction of a restored grill.
Lots of nice options pop-up on Facebook and Craigslist. You can buy one that needs some TLC for cheap, or you can spend $2-300 and get one that is a few years old and in great shape. I like the Genesis generations that have the east-west side to side burners rather than the new front north-south burners. And I prefer the non-black colored lids, which I'm not sure if Costco sells those.
Another thing to consider if you end up buying new. If you buy a Genesis at an Ace Hardware it will be a "Special Edition" which means it'll have stainless steel grates and flavor bars....and (at least around here) the Ace stores will assemble and deliver for free.

The pellet grill would be fun to have, but it costs a lot and has some issues. If I was in the market for that one, I'd wait longer until I knew all the issues had been resolved.

Yah, I'd go the restored grill route (E to W burners) but if you don't then the one from Costco should be good also due to the having both warranties from Weber and Costco.

John, I think a question you need to ask your self is what type of cooking do I do the most, is the time factor important? Do I come home from work and just throw a couple burgers on the grill for dinner or is most of my cooking done on the weekend when I am lounging around having a couple of brews and enjoying the whole process of the cook. How many people am I cooking for? Last but by no means the least, how labor intensive is the clean-up?
Good luck and good cooking John.

Bill

John, I think a question you need to ask your self is what type of cooking do I do the most, is the time factor important? Do I come home from work and just throw a couple burgers on the grill for dinner or is most of my cooking done on the weekend when I am lounging around having a couple of brews and enjoying the whole process of the cook. How many people am I cooking for? Last but by no means the least, how labor intensive is the clean-up?
Good luck and good cooking John.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have used my WSM 18 and 22 for years. For me they are almost "set it and forget it". I use my Performer for most everything else and just have the older Summit for quick weekday meals. I got caught up in the Weber Pellet Gill mania and then started thinking about replacing the Summit but after calming down I think I am good to go with what I have. Having said that, I saw a 26" Weber Kettle on Facebook Market near me for $275. Was tempted to call and ask what he would take.

If the older Summit is still working and fixable I would go that route. The kettles and WSM will work for many more years. The only that might need replacement at one point are the grates. I personally have a problem spending hundreds of dollars on a new grill when I can get I used one for a fraction of that price.
I would also love to have a 26". Preferable and older colored one. Not black. But I have never ever seen one in my neck of the woods. Only newer ones for closer to $300. But for the extra 150 sq inch I rather get another cheap used 22" kettle and use two kettles.

By me the grills are in the 600 dollar range. I was tempted. I have been a harsh supporter of the pellet grill. Waiting until they calm down and get it set right. Then it might end up superior smoker.

Back