GENESIS E-320 NG BLK will only heat up to 450, is this normal?

I was thinking thermometer too but yes an oven thermometer was used as a backup, so probably the temperature measurement is correct.

Last edited:
I agree, this simple grill has been a pain in the A$$. Hoping it will be fixed soon. I'll let everyone know. I took the manifold off last night, removed the valves, removed the fittings and tried to shake anything inside loose, nothing came out, then I took an air hose and blew it out, still nothing. I then reassembled but changed the order of the valves to burner tubes, making the #1 the #2, the #2 the #3, and the #3 the #1.

Nothing different. This is on high start and after 15 minutes will achieve 425 with out flavor bars inside. Using orifice sized to a #45, double checked with a pin gage for accuracy of size. Reading from the hood temp gauge is 350, reading inside using stand alone oven temp gauge was 425. On a side note, I was doing some backing in my oven and validated the stand alone temp gauge with my house oven.

To me, the flames look low, when I turn the control knobs to medium and low, the flames adjust down. It just seems like they are low and starving for for fuel. Maybe the new manifold and valves will finally fix this.

full

Last edited:
I might have an e310 manifold if that helps. But I am out of town until Monday

Thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I just ordered a replacement. I will update the forum with my results as I believe this kind of troubleshooting helps others that have issues. Really cool of you to offer though and thank you again!

Have you messed around with the air shutters? BTW those burners look new. Are they OEM or aftermarket? The flames almost look like the air shutters are too far open. On an OEM burner they are always only about 3mm open (3/16") I have found when they have been messed with if they're open much more than that the flames look like those do. If you have messed with them try closing them down. Though with the jets hogged out you may get some very high and dirty flames

The burners are new, Weber brand, removed from the box myself. Yes, I had adjusted the air shutters for the best flame. I readjusted all 3 to 3/16" and did a preheat cycle. After 15 minutes, hood temp gauge was 325 and internal temp gauge was at 375.

Not high or dirty flames, just not very hot. :(

Wow, what a mystery. I guess replacing the manifold is the only thing left to try. When you do expect to receive the new one?

Honestly I still think it's the tank(s). Try exchanging one at an exchange place for a different one (hopefully refilled from a different source). I still sat tank and or regulator. I seriously doubt this is a manifold issue (but who knows) at this point

Well all 3 tanks were from different sources and 2 of the tanks were tested on other grills and produced 500+ heat. I took the manifold off again and removed the orifice connector going to the tank. The orifice was a #57, It was not blocked, I decided to drill it out to see what effect it would have. I should have drilled it to at #53, but in my hast, I drilled it to a #45 (same as the 3 orifice in the valves). The effect was much more gas and actually so much that even on the lowest valve setting, I could not open the shutter to get the flame from being yellow. :(

On the positive side, with more gas, and a non efficient flame that was sooty and yellow, the grill went up to 475 in about 12 minutes and stabalized. If I had opened up that orifice first to #53, and the same with the 3 on the valves, I believe I would have been able to adjust the shutter for a nice blue flame, without soot, and gotten it up to 500-600 degrees on high.

But.... to late now, I have a new assembly on the way, I will check the size of all 4 of these orifice before I install and report what happens. Just keeping everyone in the loop.

I guess if I could find 3 orifice for the valves now, I would like to see the end effect of having those at #57 or #53 with the feeding orifice opened up to #45. Bruce, if your offer is still open, send me a PM with details for shipping and cost and I'd like to do some testing with the 310 manifold you offered.

I am 1500 miles away from home right now. I should be home on Sunday. I will get back to you then or Monday probably

What orifice are you referring to? Honestly I have never seen so much trouble for something this simple. There should be no reason whatever to be drilling anything out

Here is the last part I drilled out that actually increased gas flow to the valves and then through the valves to the burner tubes. This is screwed into the manifold block and the line from the LP tank after the regulator is attached. So the flow is regulated at the tank up to the distribution block, through that orifice, then to the 3 valves and through their orifice, and in this case, also to a side burner with it's own orifice ( I plugged that hole at the distribution block to eliminate any leaks possible there and I just never use the side burner.

full

full

Last edited:
I have several of those 1/8" npt to 3/8" flare fittings at home to compare with.

Is that 2nd pic the "before" or "after" pic of drilling it out?

I have several manifolds with a similar fitting and I have never seen one like that in them. I have no clue where that came from but I can pretty well say it did not come from Weber. No wonder you had a flow issue. That thing is supposed to be a full 1/8" NPT nipple and it's not. Even in stores I have never seen one like it. now you need to get the proper orifices back where they belong (hate to say I told you so but I will............they should have never been hogged out) and make sure the valves match the fuel you're using (as at this point I can't remember) LOL

Yep, whoever converted it from NG to LP must have installed that adapter. After doing some research that's how they come and you are suppose to punch it out to 1/8" so no obstruction. So maybe and likely that was the real problem, starving fuel. So now, does anyone have a source for 3 of the correct orifices? I've got the whole manifold on it's way as a backup, and I can always return it if I can just find the right orifices now.

I appreciate all your help to everyone on the forum. I hope my trial and error and discovering a cause that no one here thought of will help the next person.

Kindest Regards, Found this old video showing what it shouldve looked like all along.

Back