Genesis E-310 vs Earlier Models

RichB NH

TVWBB Fan
I was given a genesis E-310 by my neighbor in relatively decent shape, bottom panel was rusted, and legs/sides in solid shape. I replaced the burners, flavor bars, and igniter, and rust treated the bottom panel, and will replace it at a later time. Cleaned up real nice. Cook box is in OK shape, but was going to try to see if I could get a new one on warranty through my neighbor or something.

Is this grill worth it as a keeper? or should it be the gift grill?

I'd like to end up with a grill on the patio and the new SS platinum on my deck, as ridiculous as it sounds. Ideally a 13 flavor bar and 5 flavor bar grill, but not necessarily required.

I started out with a Genesis Platinum 3000 or 4000 cabinet with wide leg rusted frame that I have repaired/crudely patched but yet to finish, then I picked up this "new" SS Platinum C and was given the above mentioned E-310. Along the way I have also acquired, all for free 2 silver Bs, and 3 Genesis 1000s. I'd like to gift one to a close friend, flip 1 or 2 to sell, and keep 2 for my own selfish use.

So how do the E-310s cook? are they good grills or are the older 5 bar grills that much better?

Last edited:
I always enjoyed grilling with my Special Edition model with the sear burner. They aren't as rugged or simple as the "classic" Genesis grills, and they don't have the charm of the earlier Genesis grills with wood slats. On the other hand they offer a little more grilling space. I rehabbed a regular 3-burner one for my friend. After he added GrillGrates he was especially happy with it.

I have two 13 bar Genesis grills and they are great. I also have a 2008 E320 which I really like also all three are sidewinders which I prefer.
The E320 is a little taller and bigger than the earlier genesis grills which is a plus. Can't help on the cabinet rust as rust is not allowed here in Arizona.
The E320 is our daily driver mostly because it's NG.

Thanks for the insight, I really like the Look of the E310, and can tell its quality but certainly not the same as the older generations. I like the larger surgace area as well.

I am glad I am not the only one that owns and intends to use multiple grills. My next venture will probably be a performer charcoal grill - I missed one for $35 locally yesterday!

it sounds like my original Gen Platinum 3000 frame might end up a side table or something. haha

I always enjoyed grilling with my Special Edition model with the sear burner. They aren't as rugged or simple as the "classic" Genesis grills, and they don't have the charm of the earlier Genesis grills with wood slats. On the other hand they offer a little more grilling space. I rehabbed a regular 3-burner one for my friend. After he added GrillGrates he was especially happy with it.

Are the grill grates similar to how those Char Broil Infrared grills work? my father grabbed one and fixed it for his own use, I used a larger one at a place we rented, and cleaning it was a huge pain. It cooked nice, but it didn't seem worth the trouble of keeping those grates clean.

Last edited:
Are the grill grates similar to how those Char Broil Infrared grills work? my father grabbed one and fixed it for his own use, I used a larger one at a place we rented, and cleaning it was a huge pain. It cooked nice, but it didn't seem worth the trouble of keeping those grates clean.

GrillGrates I guess do use a little bit of the same principle but the main thing is that they are made of anodized aluminum and therefor conduct heat rapidly. That, and the sharp, flat rails creates very distinct grill marks that some people - like me - tend to like, while others don't.

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

I know those Charbroil "True Infrared" grills actually cook really well when clean - but clog up too easily. And, as you said, they aren't fun to clean, let alone all the time! GrillGrates aren't maintenance free. They give you a funky spatula tool with your purchase that will readily scrape out the valleys. You can also get a special brush from them to better sweep the incinerated stuff to the back. For the top rails, I use one of those wood scrapers with very good success. One nice thing is that since a lot more stuff is burned up at the grate level, your lower grill stays a lot cleaner. You won't have to empty your drip pan nearly as often. Eventually, you do have to remove and totally wash your GrillGrates. Not super easy but not all that terrible either.

Some would rightfully argue that the way GrillGrates works alters the Weber formula of flavorizer bars. And some would call GrillGrates a "crutch." I wouldn't argue with either. All I can say is that they are very forgiving and definitely smooth out temperatures. Whether you like the results is a personal preference that each is entitled to. I like them.

The last point is that not everyone is comfortable with grilling on anodized aluminum. I totally respect that. If you have an issue with that there are many other good options for grilling. In that case GrillGrates are not for you. I myself don't see it as a clear-cut case based on things I have read, and I am willing to use them.

With the talk here of the older Weber E-310/320s I was going to put my recently acquired Weber #7532 Cast Iron Griddle up for sale on the Forum. It is brand new in the box and never used. It fits 2007- 2010 Genesis E and S series gas grills.

Any interest just let me know.

Jeff

With the talk here of the older Weber E-310/320s I was going to put my recently acquired Weber #7532 Cast Iron Griddle up for sale on the Forum. It is brand new in the box and never used. It fits 2007- 2010 Genesis E and S series gas grills.

Any interest just let me know.

Jeff

Jeff, I might be, I just need to decide which grill(s) I am going to keep! I am thinking the e310 and the stainless grill, but I do have a platinum like yours I could restore!

Rich,
Let me know as you're close to me here in Mass for pick up.
I know from shipping a cast iron skillet that it ain't cheap!
I know you were saying the frame on your Platinum is rough...might have half the frame to sell as well.
Jeff

Jeff,

You could say it was in rough shape...

I replaced the cross member, I ripped some wood to slip inside of the front legs, ground the rust and rot out, then patched it with some tube stock I split length wise to sure it up, for personal use its fine, would look horrible to flip... do you have the front half of the frame?

Honestly, since I spent the time and money to go get that "New" Stainless Platinum, I had considered using this platinum frame as a utility cart in the workshop or side table out on the patio.

I have yet to be able to get off the ground to "flip" a grill, I don't have the time or patience to get them looking presentable enough to sell, or im being to ambitious with my choices for restoration...

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_185936.jpg
    IMG_20190906_185936.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190907_173707.jpg
    IMG_20190907_173707.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190907_102416.jpg
    IMG_20190907_102416.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190907_112949.jpg
    IMG_20190907_112949.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 27
Sorry Rich...I only have the rear part of the frame left. I disposed of the front part as it was bowed and rusting.

Jeff

Back