GENESIS 5000 RESTORATION COMPLETED

Did anyone else notice the lack of an ignition button on the control panel as we would typically see here in the states on the 2000 photos? It appears to be on the front skirt panel instead, maybe. I like it.

Did anyone else notice the lack of an ignition button on the control panel as we would typically see here in the states on the 2000 photos? It appears to be on the front skirt panel instead, maybe. I like it.
Hey Tom, yep good pick up. I labelled it wrong, this is actually a Gen 2 from 1988, I have seen a few of these here in Australia like this. Yep the ignitor button is on the front skirt, might of been a compliance issue back in the day

That red head is in really nice shape, I'll bet a thorough cleaning is all that one needs. The tank scale could probably use a coat of paint, there are a couple of interesting additions to that compared to US versions.

Oh, now that you mention it, maybe I have seen one posted online before. Pretty. I would love one.

That red head is in really nice shape, I'll bet a thorough cleaning is all that one needs. The tank scale could probably use a coat of paint, there are a couple of interesting additions to that compared to US versions.
I'll see how I go with it, if I get bored and don't have any projects on the go I might strip it down.

Otherwise I was thinking about getting a full size flat plate that covers the whole cook box and use it for smash burgers and Philly cheesesteaks 😁

Thanks Mate, appreciate that, makes all the hours worth while!!

Yeah after I researched the older Genesis models I instantly wanted a 5000, took me just over 6 years to find one. The glass doors and end enclosed cabinet under the cook box is an awesome feature and only available on the 5000.

I've done quite a few restorations now, just find it therapeutic ha ha. But love turning sometime old back to new!!

Here's a few more I've done, the Genesis Junior is still up there as my favourite. From all the research I've done it's the only one in Australia 🦘

Never seen the Genesis junior before, seems like a rare bird for sure! Love how it looks like a funhouse version of the Genesis 3000.

Never seen the Genesis junior before, seems like a rare bird for sure! Love how it looks like a funhouse version of the Genesis 3000.
Very rare bbq the Genesis Junior. From memory it was produced for 3 years (1988 to 1991), please correct me if I'm wrong, definitely a fun size.

I don't think that were a huge seller back in the day but highly collectable now

Thanks Jon, well I currently have 5 in the collection and it's filling up fast ha ha.

This is the 1988 Gen 2 that missed out on the pic. It's a true 'barn find'. Was used about 6 times and then stored away with layers protecting it. I'm in 2 minds whether to leave it as is or restore it.

I am a kettle collector also but truly love these gas designs!!
Hello. I have just got into restoring these grills. I love them there’s no better. But anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me on how you put the side tables that fold down. They weren’t attached on mine. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_6118.jpeg
    IMG_6118.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 70787717066__3CC6E18F-A2B7-4598-B791-E55A94CBE56C.jpeg
    70787717066__3CC6E18F-A2B7-4598-B791-E55A94CBE56C.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 14
Mark, someone mentioned specifically NOT getting a “Full size” edge to edge griddle due to concerns of the massive heat build up under the griddle and the possibility of deformation of the firebox or excessive heat causing fires possible with grease accumulation.
So, while I see and would most likely do the same thing, the downside has made me more cautious and I’ve used an old cast iron griddle that fit my Dad’s old Coleman two burner camp stove, there is enough space for most projects for me.
Just a word of caution, I would be really sorry to see you have a problem with that beauty after the work you’ve put into it!

Nice job! I see you have the one with the "flame check button" / thermo-coupler you have to hold down to light it. I disabled it, but kept the button as it was a pain to use and quite senseless IMHO.

Mark, someone mentioned specifically NOT getting a “Full size” edge to edge griddle due to concerns of the massive heat build up under the griddle and the possibility of deformation of the firebox or excessive heat causing fires possible with grease accumulation.
So, while I see and would most likely do the same thing, the downside has made me more cautious and I’ve used an old cast iron griddle that fit my Dad’s old Coleman two burner camp stove, there is enough space for most projects for me.
Just a word of caution, I would be really sorry to see you have a problem with that beauty after the work you’ve put into it!
Hey Tim, thanks for the, great information, definitely something to keep in mind.

Could you decrease the temp by only having 2 burners lit or put all 3 on a low setting? Worse case have 2 x flat plates with a small air gap in between

Nice job! I see you have the one with the "flame check button" / thermo-coupler you have to hold down to light it. I disabled it, but kept the button as it was a pain to use and quite senseless IMHO.
Hi Joe, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. Yep in Jeff 6 kept the flame check button in-tact, wanted to keep it as original as possible

Hey Tim, thanks for the, great information, definitely something to keep in mind.

Could you decrease the temp by only having 2 burners lit or put all 3 on a low setting? Worse case have 2 x flat plates with a small air gap in between
From the explanation I heard (I think it was Larry) it’s not the number of burners but the “accumulated heat” under the griddle that can be the culprit. I’d just get one that wasn’t “FULL size” maybe 7/8? That will allow the excess heat to vent off safely.

Not only accumulated heat but the burners are designed to perform complete combustion and I would think also that removing so much air flow might impeded that. (I could be wrong here) but if it's mine I am erring on the side of caution

Back