Genesis 310 Renovation

Dave Maze

TVWBB Member
A week or so ago I got an old beat up Genesis 310 with a blue hood. Today I picked up another 310 that was in pretty bad shape for $50, tore both of them down and was able to put together a pretty nice grill. I know several of you commented on the blue hood in my haul post last week so I thought I'd share. It's now working 100% and still has some rust in the cabinet, but nothing like before. One of the insides of the blue doors is rusted and doesn't close since there is no metal where it is supposed to connect with the magnet. I'm thinking of gluing a rectangular piece of sheet metal to it so the door stays closed when moving the grill around. I'm thinking if I do that I might be able to get $200-$225 for it? Might be wishful thinking, but it's a sharp looking grill!

Attachments

• Grill 2 Front.jpg
    Grill 2 Front.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16
  • New Improved Blue Genesis 310.jpg
    New Improved Blue Genesis 310.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
Yah, the rust and door problems are going to have a big impact on the sale price. But, I could see someone falling in love with that blue for $225.

If you have the space, you might be better off waiting for another donor grill to come around that has the functioning door piece. A clean fully functional grill like that could pull $350, very unique color.
You have two E3xx and neither had a good piece for that?

Also, you might get more replies posting this in the Gas Grills sub-forum.

If you have the space, you might be better off waiting for another donor grill to come around that has the functioning door piece. A clean fully functional grill like that could pull $350, very unique color.
You have two E3xx and neither had a good piece for that?

Also, you might get more replies posting this in the Gas Grills sub-forum.
I have the set of doors from the other E3xx and they are in good shape, but black. Is it possible just to swap out the blue front with the black front? If I did that they would be perfect, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to take the front colored part of the doors off and replace them.
And thanks for the tip about the Gas Grills forum. Sometimes I'm not sure where to put stuff :D

I have the set of doors from the other E3xx and they are in good shape, but black. Is it possible just to swap out the blue front with the black front? If I did that they would be perfect, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to take the front colored part of the doors off and replace them.
And thanks for the tip about the Gas Grills forum. Sometimes I'm not sure where to put stuff :D
Can you post a picture of where the doors are damaged?
So it's the doors that are messed up, not the little nub on the frame where the bottom of the door rests on?

I'm not sure about swapping the colored part only of the door. Surely there is a way you could rig up the door to function though. Especially if the bottom of the door is where the damage is....anything you rig up will not be very noticeable.

As for what forum to post stuff...if you are rehabbing a grill and need advice, I'd say throw it over in Gas Grills or Charcoal Grill, or WSM sub-forum....if you are trying to sell your finished rehabbed grill to a forum member, I'd post in this forum.

Sure...I'll post the pics here and then post this question on the Gas Grill forum, thanks for the explanation. So the nubs fit in the holes, that was one of the main reasons I wanted a new frame. The old one was rusted so badly there wasn't even a place to put the doors. The issue now is that the backs of the blue doors have rust at the bottom. One of them closes well (ironically the side that is missing the magnet), while the other one closes but swings open when being moved because there is no metal to cling to the magnet. So my thought was maybe I can somehow swap the black and blue sides of the doors since the black door backs are in great shape with no rust. I just don't want to start bending stuff trying to get them out and ruin them. Here are the pictures. Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• Inside Cabinet Door Rust.jpg
    Inside Cabinet Door Rust.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Outside Cabinet Doors.jpg
    Outside Cabinet Doors.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Spare Door Backs Fronts are Black.jpg
    Spare Door Backs Fronts are Black.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Black Fronts of Spare Doors.jpg
    Black Fronts of Spare Doors.jpg