Genesis 3000 from in-laws

PaulDPerrin

TVWBB Member
Hey all, just want to say finding this forum made my year! So refreshing to read through tons of threads and not find the usual toxicity I'm used to seeing on the internet.

I found this forum when trying to repair the seized rear burner on my Genesis 3000 I got from my in laws years back. Even with 2 working burners we have had a lot of use out of it. I saw a video on how to take the valves apart to clean and lubricate them so I went for it and while trying to tap the stem through the cover one of the screw mounts broke off just 1 hit shy of breakthrough!

Anyways, I figured I'd make a thread because after seeing some of your setups I wanted to rehab mine a bit while I'm trying to source a valve with Bruce. I've found the parts thread because I need to get this thing on wheels but where the heck would the axle go?! I don't see a hole in the frame big enough for one. I could drill one but I need to find out what size wheels the Genesis 3000 is supposed to have. Among other things like new knobs (missing one, probably why it was more exposed than others and seized). Hopefully this thread is fun and could help others in the future with these amazing grills from the past.

6A2D8B68-612C-4198-A9A8-6194ECBD5CE1.jpeg
858FB7DE-C9FD-4AF0-99DB-707E09FA6C6D.jpegC73F8F59-62CE-4E97-8F7D-F479C7BFB022.jpeg968D1D7D-6DE0-4A9E-BFE5-9ADC3BF894CC.jpeg

I just checked a Genesis 3 and it had 8" wheels. Not sure if they changed them on the 3000 or not.

I just checked a Genesis 3 and it had 8" wheels. Not sure if they changed them on the 3000 or not.
Sounds good. I'll probably have to figure out where to drill the axle hole haha. I'll check the parts site and get the axle and wheels ordered.

Paul, why is there not already holes for the axle? Something doesn't seem right.

Welcome!
If your grill sits level without wheels, you would need to get the casters for the other side for the grill to sit level when you add the wheels.
Gerry

Paul, the axle is 3/8” and splurge for stainless steel if this is a keeper. The wheel is 8” - Weber part # 63050. You will need two push nuts # 3622 to hold them on but I don’t remember if one comes with each wheel or not. You can buy them at local hardware stores like Ace.

Why no wheels? Maybe it was that frame they made very few of for mounting in a cabinet type setting (outdoor kitchen). But even if someone simply did not put on the ones it came with the grill would sit level if it was one made for casters and wheels. Since the legs were already designed to be level with something under them. If it was an early (non caster model) it would not sit level
And BTW you're using the grates upside down FYI

These are the castors for the left side. If you don’t move it much or just on a smooth surface you could go with just four casters. If you want the measurements for the axle holes let me know. You also might want to measure accurately the leg lengths. My right side legs with the 8” wheels are 3/8” shorter than the left legs. That would make a difference on the axle measurement.

Attachments

• 0FF891D7-7CF3-4C82-B686-7BF656021695.jpeg
    0FF891D7-7CF3-4C82-B686-7BF656021695.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
Welcome!
If your grill sits level without wheels, you would need to get the casters for the other side for the grill to sit level when you add the wheels.
Gerry
Yep! I was planning on casters on the left, it seems pretty lvl as it stands, I'll double check though.

Paul, the axle is 3/8” and splurge for stainless steel if this is a keeper. The wheel is 8” - Weber part # 63050. You will need two push nuts # 3622 to hold them on but I don’t remember if one comes with each wheel or not. You can buy them at local hardware stores like Ace.
Definitely a keeper. My in laws love it when they visit and see we're still using it. And after finding this forum, I'm loving it even more than I already did!

Why no wheels? Maybe it was that frame they made very few of for mounting in a cabinet type setting (outdoor kitchen). But even if someone simply did not put on the ones it came with the grill would sit level if it was one made for casters and wheels. Since the legs were already designed to be level with something under them. If it was an early (non caster model) it would not sit level
And BTW you're using the grates upside down FYI
As far as no wheels go, maybe Ralphs had it that way to discourage someone rolling off with it haha. My wife said they've had it for years, the serial says it's a '99 I think.

As far as the grates go, that's pretty embarrassing! If you see me do anything else dumb, send it in a PM so I don't lose any street cred :LOL:

These are the castors for the left side. If you don’t move it much or just on a smooth surface you could go with just four casters. If you want the measurements for the axle holes let me know. You also might want to measure accurately the leg lengths. My right side legs with the 8” wheels are 3/8” shorter than the left legs. That would make a difference on the axle measurement.
I'll definitely be moving it a bit. The larger wheels will be nice since our backyard has uneven stonework My wife is getting tired of helping me move it lol. With the 4 year old running around we like to give him extra space when we can. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to remember to check the overall leg lengths before I drill anything.

Wow she’s a beaut! Always loved a redhead...my dad has the 1000 that I’m fixing to redo the wood on.
Thanks! The lid cleans up nicely, I just need to get everything else looking as good. I was thinking of working on putting in real wood once this prices go down, if they ever do. I'll just need to borrow a table saw. It's the only store branded grill I've seen. Maybe Ralphs did rentals? Seems like a whole lot of trouble to rent a grill that size out haha.

Back