Genesis 300 series front control panel paint help

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I recall seeing some custom lettering yet I'm not finding it in search.

I've got two that are rough. One completely gone.

Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm working with.

20230729_160745.jpg

I think we are pretty sure you can't buy new decals from Weber, which would be ideal. Off the top of my head I would say you could make new ones with a Cricut machine (probably not cheap) or you could make a stencil and then paint markings back on that way.

That is a tough one. Like a lot of grill parts from older grills, your best bet is probably to find a donor grill....Unfortunately. It is a poor design by weber. I am sure it could have been done more permanently, but that was the cheapest.

This is definitely another drawback about trying to restore this generation of Genesis grills, and it's no better on the newer ones. I believe @Dave in KC 's wife made some replacement decals for some of his restores. Maybe he can share how. I would think any stick-on decal - or paint for that matter - is doomed to come off after any kind of serious cleaning. I sure wish Weber would have stuck to porcelain covered pieces for the control panel on these grills! :rolleyes:

Finished Controls .jpeg

Jon is correct. I would imagine she wouldn't mind making you a
set for a small fee and postage.
Thanks Dave, ( and Jon for remembering ) If those are the ones on your red lid E330 they look great. I need to sort out my plans and I'll send you private message.

One idea I have is to design a full-size overlay piece with all the writing you need. You can then have it printed on magnetic stock (which should stick to the cheap stainless used on those front control panels. That way, you could remove the magnet part when you need to clean and clean the stainless bare. Holes could be cut for where the knobs are. I don't think doing this would be very expensive, especially if you had a run of them printed.

As you may know, I have an MPCNC, and I have a drag knife ( vinyl cutter ) for it. Earlier in the month, I finished building a Voron 3D printer and I'm interested in cutting a Voron design for the back of it.

Screenshot_20230811_160509_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230811_161445_Chrome.jpg

( not my printer [Voron Trident] but you get the idea )

So I found the page that details how to cut vinyl on the MPCNC

and towards the end of the page, Ryan details how to etch glass with a vinyl stencil. Could you not use a similar process to etch your markings? I think paint would stick well to an etched surface.

Close enough for a flip grill...I was thinking more along the line of a keeper. Maybe somebody on Etsy has the decals?

Well, i made the Voron sticker out of Oracal 631 and it came out great! The weeding was the most meticulous aspect, but I nerd out on that kind of thing so it's all good. I made some Disney stickers, Tigger, Mickey, Goofy, I'm going to put Wile E Coyote SPLAT! and Road Runner (yeah, I know, Warner Bros) stickers on the rear quarter windows of the car...and I'm not a sticker person! Our daughter wants a Tinkerbell for her light switch.

I've looked at the lettering on the 300s and it doesn't look too daunting. Not saying I personally will do it...but the first thing needed is an undistorted picture with a scale reference. Those that want this done, you are going to need this wherever you go.

Come on Ed, take one for the team once in awhile. If someone is willing to send you what you need to recreate those markings then do it, not for free of course. I still marvel at the Weber emblem magnet that you made out of wood and sent me. I have it prominently displayed on my garage grill. 😁

I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't willing to do it, but I learned a long time ago...never volunteer for anything, and be careful for what you ask. The money aspect is more a token of esteem and appreciation than anything else...I really have no need for more money, I live within my means and I have enough for that, and too much of life is spent in pursuit of the almighty dollar, I think.

I'm not asking anyone to send things to me specifically, just post them to the thread and see where it goes. For instance, Jon's idea of a magnetic strip, i've been playing that in my head...that sort of thing typically takes several iterations to get right, and the difficulty is compounded by not having the actual control panel in front of the maker. Quite possibly, it could be done by a local business, but how does that hep the group?

We love these old grills, right? What can we do to preserve them going forward?

Just post some decent pictures, to scale. I'm enrolled in Fusion 360 at the local college...might be a fun project for our team!

No keystone effect or parallax. Should be dead simple, even more so if you do your own weeding.

I recall seeing some custom lettering yet I'm not finding it in search.

I've got two that are rough. One completely gone.

Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm working with.

View attachment 75766
I have a genesis II purchased in early 2021 on which control panel knob lettering has faded. Grill comes with a 10 year warranty. Just got off the phone with Weber. Only way to renew lettering on control panel is to replace entire panel. They are doing that at no charge.

Back