Genesis 3 circa 1990 restoration

Yah, if you have some wood working skills and want to fix up a beautiful Weber grill, then the older Genesis 1-5 and 1000-5000 grills are the way to go.

Buying, cutting, sanding, finishing, and installing real wood is satisfying and soul crushing at the same time. What the options are for composite materials? I looked at the decking stuff on Saturday and they only had something like this with the grooves on the underside and it was 5/4 dimension. I would think solid straight pieces exist but then there is still the thickness, need closer to 5/8 or 3/4 actual dimension. We have an open to the public restaurant supply place by me and you can get pretty thick cutting boards that are pretty much plastic slabs which could be ripped down, maybe that would work.
1634599828569.png

I'll need help with the wood.

not counting a Dremel, my precision woodworking tool is this bad boy.

71BvNmPnhCL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Great for rounding off the edges. Maybe carve a weber logo on the slats with that thing.

I'll need help with the wood.

not counting a Dremel, my precision woodworking tool is this bad boy.

71BvNmPnhCL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Ha Ha, those are very handy. They are great for demo work in a bathroom. You're going to at least need a miter saw and possibly a table saw. A router table would be helpful too.

Bruce, I really like the bottom shelf restomod. Looks like it should have always been that way. I was wondering more for the side tables if anybody got that OEM look with off the shelf stuff. Sidenote, I wish we had menards back east. I went to one in michigan 3 year ago and walked around for hours.

Ha Ha, those are very handy. They are great for demo work in a bathroom. You're going to at least need a miter saw and possibly a table saw. A router table would be helpful too.

I cut out a wall for a fireplace remodel and the sawzall saved me $600 by doing the demolition myself. It paid for itself in the very first job.

I'm hoping beer and/or wine along with smoked meat will be enough barter my way with the cutting.

I traded a silver b grill that I got for free and didn't want anyway for my buddy's help with my wood. Considering how many hours we both spent on it, I definitely got the better end of the deal. You'll work something out!

There is what looks to be house paint over spray on the blue lid and control panel.

0000 steel wool and simple green?
Or green 3m pad and simple green?
Or?

I'm sure this has been answered before but search is failing me tonight.

#0000 steel wool and simple green. If that works easy then fine. If not you can always use some paint thinner and get it off that way. The other option is a single edge razor blade scraper.

Dan, I have cut slats to the same size by bungeeing a bunch of them together then cutting them all at once. I used a circular saw, a sawzall would be like watching me try to weld, which means it would look like a four year old did it. If you have carpenter buddies, then definitely who wouldn't make a few cuts for you especially if you showed up with beer and say I don't know, barbecue?

Back