Genesis 2 restoration complete!

Leandro P

TVWBB Member
Hey guys I’m diving down the rabbit hole. Been wanting to get my hands on a genesis 2000 for quite some time. Hadn’t had much luck on offerup etc for some years. When I least expected Jon offered to help me with my dream. So I drove 200 miles 100 each way!

He had what seemed to be a genesis 2 with a brown lid that he only really wanted to keep the brown lid I was ok with that since what I’ve always wanted is a red one. My dad had one when I was a kid and brings back memories. Don’t know what happened to that one maybe they gave it away ;(

Anyways Let the speed bumps begin.

wasn’t planning on disassembling the frame but while I was sanding to paint I noticed the bottom horizontal braces where the bottom shelf z bars rest were spinning. :( Which led me to discover they weren’t really attached.

Ok no problem tvwbb to the rescue I know I’ve seen them posted here before what are they called the ones that go inside the tubes and let you screw into I need to order some.
C693B63B-3C6D-4885-8ADF-A866C2EE98EF.jpeg98770681-65D1-46DB-B7AE-65391D457538.jpegF0224905-AF92-4CEA-9E5F-F004AA7C0342.jpeg0E85854E-3821-4EE5-A6C5-610E66B388E0.jpeg48D6AACF-877D-458B-8A7D-ADFE4E0170FA.jpegCEFADD39-7C58-4C1D-85A4-8C794CFED014.jpeg7947147C-FB3E-4490-8540-251F1A4E58CF.jpeg

Today I painted the box and hood side panels. But project is on hold until I get the hardware for the frame. Will have to fix some rust spots on frame as well. F729DF0B-892D-41C1-A461-24E99BAD2381.jpeg

Yup or these also....

thanks I ended up finding some on amazon. Which looked more like what Weber originally used. Rip off. But I wasn’t sure if the other ones would add space between the frame connection. E1CB1622-181B-43B6-ABBF-7F25A7AF8C8B.jpeg

the hard part about the ones you got is that you have to make sure it's centered in the tube so the screw can go in correctly. I considered that options but in the end, went with the set from mcmaster. Their shipping is highly reasonable especially when you order a whole bunch of the other screws in bulk.

Ah I see what you mean. Well let’s hope it works I will update once I receive.
I used the ones from e-bay like you have last week for the same problem and they worked flawlessly.
Maybe I was lucky.
2" long bolts are needed, I found that out.
But hey, spray the ends and inside of the tube with rustoleum.
It will slow the rust from leaking back out after assembly.
Be sure to clean and save those black plastic washers!

Last edited:
So I got the star connectors and the missing hardware for the frame assembled and painted. Haven’t been as good as some other members in taking pictures but here she is today:D4D86960-A634-44BE-90C6-F2FE7EC01B2B.jpeg
I want to give a shout out to Jon for being so helpful in making my project come together. Thanks Jon!

Leandro: WOW. that is going to be some beautiful wood for that grill. What kind of wood is it and What are you going to use to finish them?

Hey Bruce,

I was having a hard time deciding on what wood to use. This grill has a special meaning for me cause my parents had one just like it I need to find pictures I know there’s a picture of it somewhere.

Back to the wood, I want the grill to last so I was looking at wood options that last as well. So I wanted to do something like teak or ipe. But those were too expensive and I don’t have tools to cut.

So that brought me to cedar which most here use I was gonna buy it at Home Depot but since I didn’t have the tools to cut. Started to look if some friends could help me.

In the search I remembered my mom knew a carpenter. Called him up and spoke to him to see if he could do it. He said sure I said it’s for outside I want a wood that will last. Told him I was looking at home depot cedar.

He laughed and said Home Depot doesnt sell real cedar. Hahaha I don’t know what that means. But he said he had a piece of real cedar that was left from a project. Said it was like 30 years old. He said it was the perfect wood for what I wanted. So he cut them for me and I picked them up. Don’t know what type of cedar it is but I know it smells really nice.

I had to sand them a bit cause they were rough. And that’s what you see in that picture. Sorry for the long story 😆

As far as the finish I ran into something called Epifanes varnish. They have a couple some that you don’t need to sand in between coats I got that (gloss and matte) But since I don’t like high gloss they have a matte one that I’m going to top the gloss coats with that should give me my desired results 🤞.

here is a pic someone posted of the product on a door:

Attachments

• CBF42441-EA64-4ED6-AF6F-BD9F3C2A199A.png
    CBF42441-EA64-4ED6-AF6F-BD9F3C2A199A.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well, that is some beautiful wood. Probably the top grade of cedar whereas the big box stores accept the lower grade stuff and lower prices. That is going to be some pretty wood. Just don't go too dark on the stain so the grain shows up good.

Well, that is some beautiful wood. Probably the top grade of cedar whereas the big box stores accept the lower grade stuff and lower prices. That is going to be some pretty wood. Just don't go too dark on the stain so the grain shows up good.

yup no stain just clear varnish. I’m sure it’ll Change color a bit but not by much hopefully.

Some interesting things I learned along the way with this genesis 2. The igniter used to be attached different the small tiny hole where the small metal shield tab goes and bends was actually where a screw went attaching the white wire. The bigger hole the igniter went in without a metal shield and it curved towards the burner tube. Looked more like the igniters the side table burners brought.

the grill is a 1988 model made in 1989 almost looks like there was a way to keep track of the month it was cast 12 tabs with dots.922BAB50-EB65-47D2-B98C-630914C6A79C.jpeg

Hello Leandro , I've rebuilt a few of those. some where along the way I started using redwood stained with a blazing red stain, go's great with the red and black Weber. I've found that when parts are to expensive or discontinued you learn fab your own parts. Like the z bars the hold the wood slats on the side trays and bottom shelf.some rigs have wire racks and only one center bars so I took out the racks , bought square tubing and made a extra bar. wa la not I can have a bottom wood shelf

Back