Genesis 1000 vs Genesis Gold c

Very true, I just liked the idea of the discussion
I like the discussion too, but it ends up being more of an emotional decision than anything else. Both grills cook well, but I just don't like the way the long frame grills look and I definitely don't need a side burner. I would prefer the Genesis 1000 unless I couldn't turn it into something that I also enjoy looking at on my deck.

Joe those are the Genesis Platinum and Gold grills that were produced 20+ years ago for only a few years and have significantly heavier frames with the 4 legs being about 1.5 to 2x the width of regular Genesis grills.

Here is a rehab of one I did a few years ago.

1722635505946.png

Thanks Bruce.

Just to add a bit more context, Weber went back to that style of frame with the Genesis II series. However, on the Genesis II the frame is just folded sheet metal instead of the (much more robust) thick-walled tubular steel used on those vintage 'fat frame' models.

Bruce, et-al do you know if there were ever any fat frames made with stainless steel?

Scott. No, no Genesis grills that I know off. I am not sure but maybe the all SS Summit would be the closest.

Starting to think about shipping the summit 420. What do you guys think an honest value of it would be? New Weber burners, cookbox and floor last year. Overall it is in nice shape and should serve well for 10 years before the box gives issues again. Originally I wanted to keep and turn it into a dedicated griddle for my outdoor "kitchen" but I might change that up a bit

This is the 420 I sold in the spring. Spring is a much better/easier time to sell in Washington. It was not perfect but cleaned up pretty nicely. I sold it for $600 in less than 1 hour which was my full asking price. Since I picked it up for free it was the second highest profit I've made on a grill. With no parts required. Just cleaning.
Hope this helps.
Screenshot_20240815_034033_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240815_034616_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240815_034130_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240815_034146_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240815_034156_Photos.jpg

Starting to think about shipping the summit 420. What do you guys think an honest value of it would be? New Weber burners, cookbox and floor last year. Overall it is in nice shape and should serve well for 10 years before the box gives issues again. Originally I wanted to keep and turn it into a dedicated griddle for my outdoor "kitchen" but I might change that up a bit
I got $800 for mine last year

This is the 420 I sold in the spring. Spring is a much better/easier time to sell in Washington. It was not perfect but cleaned up pretty nicely. I sold it for $600 in less than 1 hour which was my full asking price. Since I picked it up for free it was the second highest profit I've made on a grill. With no parts required. Just cleaning.
Hope this helps.
View attachment 98093View attachment 98094View attachment 98095View attachment 98096View attachment 98097
Were the grates easy to get that shiny? I never attempted to get them to that level as I was simply cleaning then to use myself. Maybe oven cleaner would bring them right back

Were the grates easy to get that shiny? I never attempted to get them to that level as I was simply cleaning then to use myself. Maybe oven cleaner would bring them right back
Yes I've had a couple of them and they were easy to get the grates that shiny. I believe the quality of SS they use on those is quite good. I just use wire wheel attachments for my dewalt impact and then after I wash with a mixture of simple green and Dawn dish soap and water.

Yes I've had a couple of them and they were easy to get the grates that shiny. I believe the quality of SS they use on those is quite good. I just use wire wheel attachments for my dewalt impact and then after I wash with a mixture of simple green and Dawn dish soap and water.
The quality of the stainless is clearly an important factor. It doesn't hurt, though, that these are relatively new grills that haven't seen a decade or more of regular use. Some older stainless grates take a bit more effort. If you can sweep up nice newer grills like that and quickly flip them like you have, you can then afford to fund the less financially rewarding proposition of restoring classic "old" Webers. I wish I could make a few deals like that!

Part of my reasoning is wondering if I could replace the 420 with a free q300 I picked up. I could certainly get now money for the summit than the q, even though I think the q is a great grill and pretty fun to rehab and give some awesome paint colors... What a predicament to have all these free grills that I love to work on and cook on that I have to try and choose just a few. Worse problems can be had 😂

Back