Genesis 1000 Red Head Question

The other day I inquired in a post about the type of wood on my Red Head handle and slats! Had several different answers, I also stated I am clueless when it comes to identifying wood which is true unless its pine or oak then I usually know. After sanding the handle down I took the Red Head handle to a Woodcrafters specialty store and right away the gentleman said that's maple! @Steve Hoch So, I ended up purchasing some WATCO Danish Oil one step finish and the I think it came out pretty nice!
Here's a pic of the handle before I sanded it and a sneak peak of the finished handle attached to the Red Head lid.
Now back to work on the rest of the grill! As always I appreciate all the expertise this forum offers, it enables a guy like me to restore an awesome old grill!:)
1666993386345.jpeg1666993585433.jpeg1666993399743.jpeg

I am working on a 35 year old one for a very early Genesis XXI/Jr. The wood is very light and soft. I am not positive at all, but I think it is likely cedar. It has some damage that I am going to try to fill with putty (these are very rare short handles and not much in the way of donor ones exist), and then I am going to try some pre-stain treatment before using a very light stain followed with spar urethane. My Jr. has a black hood, so I think light colored wood will make a nice contrast.

As dry as my wood is, maybe I would do better with a product like your Danish Oil.

I am working on a 35 year old one for a very early Genesis XXI/Jr. The wood is very light and soft. I am not positive at all, but I think it is likely cedar. It has some damage that I am going to try to fill with putty (these are very rare short handles and not much in the way of donor ones exist), and then I am going to try some pre-stain treatment before using a very light stain followed with spar urethane. My Jr. has a black hood, so I think light colored wood will make a nice contrast.

As dry as my wood is, maybe I would do better with a product like your Danish Oil.
It was easy to use and finished well! I'm still wondering if I should seal it with something!! But the Red Mahogany is versatile in the lightness or darker tint if you choose. I went easy when applying as to control the hue that I ended up with. The WATCO came in a quart for $22 and I barely used any. I still need to do all the slats but there will be plenty of product for this job and several others! But I agree with a lighter color for a black lid!

Last edited:

Jon, if you can't save the handle we can make you a new one, just say the word.

It was easy to use and finished well! I'm still wondering if I should seal it with something!! But the Red Mahogany is versatile in the lightness or darker tint if you choose. I went easy when applying as to control the hue that I ended up with. The WATCO came in a quart for $22 and I barely used any. I still need to do all the slats but there will be plenty of product for this job and several others! But I agree with a lighter color for a black lid!
Dave, I could be wrong but I don't think the Danish oil is suitable for polyurethane. I think you just reapply as necessary.

Back