Genesis 1000 Porcelain Drip Tray

It's really sad that an essential part like these drip trays is no longer available for these wonderful old grills. I was hoping I could literally keep my father's old 1000 going forever. Or at least the rest of my life. Kind of sad to think I may eventually have to pitch it when the drip tray wears out. Fortunately I did replace that part when I rehabbed it 5 years ago. It looks pretty good. For now.

I wonder if ( just thinking out loud ) if it would be feasible to make adapter so a newer, narrower sized bottom pan from a Silver would work.

Maybe two 1.5 inch strips of stainless running front to back? They would need holes to mount to the bottom of the firebox, bent down at a slight angle. Use SS rivets to add bottom tray rails to the underside of the of the adapter. It would probably need two bends, but even for a DIY at home without a brake, it might be possible, depending on how thick the SS is.

Downsides I can think of are it would be screwed to the bottom of the firebox so not easy to slide out for cleaning.

If one had access to a brake, it would be pretty quick and easy I think.
I like what you are thinking but it may be easier to rivet those stainless strips to the pan instead of the cook box.

While not OEM I would think one could adapt a baking pan or one of those hot table pans. I would look for a cheap stainless steel one. Might not be totally OEM but at least would close off the bottom

Would there be merit in the meantime if you have one in decent shape to either wax it or cover in heavy duty foil?

I don't think either would do much. In fact, the aluminum foil might wind up trapping moisture and other stuff that could be detrimental. My suggestion is just to clean it regularly and when removing it and putting it back in the grill, try not to damage/scratch/chip the edges.

I have been pondering the steam table pan for awhile too. Could be a cob job one could be proud of. If the dimensions of the old OEM tray are 19-5/8 x 13-3/4, I think it could be made to work? Depth can vary, but the restaurant pans are 20.75 x 12.75. Think there is enough overlap/excess to cut away and slide into the rails while still catching the grease?
1628617042470.png

That is another thing about these parts. They would probably need to be made out of stainless steel. Otherwise, with out the porcelain coating, they would likely turn into a pile of rust in a few years.

These could be fabricated at a CNC sheet metal shop from stainless steel.
~ They will not be stamped, they will be folded from one piece and spot welded along the tapered edges. Maybe three pieces depending on the sophistication of their bending equipment.
~ The drain hole will not have the lip.

Joe, that link is better. But I see some serious flaws. First, those are simply painted carbon steel. I would not expect them to last all that long. Second, they are nearly $100 with shipping. If the guy made them out of stainless, he would have something there, but I still think the price is too high to be able to sell too many..

Regarding Tim's comment. I don't think they "look" all that bad. Besides, it is not a showcase piece like a side table or lid end cap. For something like that, I would just want something functional. But, like I said, I don't think they are going to meet the durability test.

Joe, that link is better. But I see some serious flaws. First, those are simply painted carbon steel. I would not expect them to last all that long. Second, they are nearly $100 with shipping. If the guy made them out of stainless, he would have something there, but I still think the price is too high to be able to sell too many..

Regarding Tim's comment. I don't think they "look" all that bad. Besides, it is not a showcase piece like a side table or lid end cap. For something like that, I would just want something functional. But, like I said, I don't think they are going to meet the durability test.
You're too kind Bruce. From a fabrication background, they are poor, at best. Especially for the price.

Back