Genesis 1000 parts needed for restoration

BenHanna

I recently stumbled upon what I believe to be a red head Genesis 1000 and have the hopes of restoring it to go with a red head kettle I use often. I’m missing quite a few pieces, but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get my hands on. Currently I’m missing the Z brackets for the side table slats as well as the bottom Z brackets. I’m also missing a back side bottom frame piece. 3C08CACC-3171-4A27-8121-0EEE12F849F0.jpegB9590465-2ED6-480C-A429-CC1FC387E3D3.jpeg5E0049A9-C545-40B3-AFD1-74EE14F1A7D3.jpegC40DB869-C89E-4840-A260-FF631825A30E.jpegF335F60E-1720-4119-83DD-B57F69307055.jpeg

I’m welcome to any and all tips in beginning this restoration. Pointers and links would be very much appreciated, especially on some of the more hard to find pieces.

You can get aluminum z-bar material online from McMaster Carr for the Z brackets and cut it to length. Home Depot sells the square tubing in 4’ sections and McMaster Carr will have the level inserts to attach it.

You can get aluminum z-bar material online from McMaster Carr for the Z brackets and cut it to length. Home Depot sells the square tubing in 4’ sections and McMaster Carr will have the level inserts to attach it.
I’ll get right on that. When it comes to attaching slats the the Z brackets, is there anything I need to know as far as spacing?

Welcome, Ben! That porcelain always cleans up so nicely! :)

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum "Gas Grills" in case you haven't seen it that has all sorts of links to how-to's, parts resources, etc. Ultimately, the easiest way to get what you need sometimes is to find a donor grill that shares similar parts (like the z-brackets that are the same across the Genesis line for grills that used them. The bottom ones may be less common to find, but you can also cut down z-bar as mentioned above.

This video by @Bruce should give you what you need to get that frame crossmember taken care of.

That looks like a great grill to rehab and get cookin' on!

R

I’ll get right on that. When it comes to attaching slats the the Z brackets, is there anything I need to know as far as spacing?

Since you’re not going for a true restoration, you can do whatever you feel is best. The only real thing to be aware of is that the wood can’t come right out to the edge of the z-bracket where the cook box bolts through the frame crossmember. You need to leave it set in enough for the wood to clear that bolt head and then mirror that spacing on the other side of the bracket for symmetry.

Another thought...you may want to buy your Z-brackets at 3/4” depth rather than 5/8”. It’s a lot easier to find and the selection is much greater for woods and composites of that thickness when selecting your planking.

Glad to have you here Ben! There are a lot of parts that you can't buy anymore for that grill, so don't throw anything away. You can still get a few things new, like wheels for example. Look under that control panel and see if there's a sticker with the model # on it, it's helpful for finding available parts. Most everything else you will have to either make or get from another grill. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome Ben! Before spending s lot on your Genesis, keep looking for a few more that have been
kicked to the curb. You might be able to make one nice one, and then scrap the others.

Yah, I vote for looking for a bit better shape grill to start with and then grabbing parts off others to replace what is bad or missing. But that is a great model to rehab, especially for personal use.

You're in the right asylum. You have a good base to begin with there. Good luck. You will find due to age and lack of support from Weber, the aftermarket and being able to make your own stuff will be a huge help

Yah, I vote for looking for a bit better shape grill to start with and then grabbing parts off others to replace what is bad or missing. But that is a great model to rehab, especially for personal use.
I've been looking for one of these on and off for years, I managed to find this one less than 25 miles from me for $20. I am looking to get my hands on a couple more though. If I can find one in better condition, that's the route I plan on taking.

You're in the right asylum. You have a good base to begin with there. Good luck. You will find due to age and lack of support from Weber, the aftermarket and being able to make your own stuff will be a huge help

This is going to be a learning experience for sure.

I just keep looking too, I have gotten one “free” one and have salvaged a few parts for future need on mine. I think collecting the parts is a very long term aspect of enjoying these amazingly well designed grills!
And as Larry so honestly phrased it,”Welcome to the asylum!”

Last edited:

Back