Genesis 1000 Manifold

Dave_C

TVWBB Fan
I am finishing up a Genesis 1000 rehab! As I was cleaning and lubricating the control valves I noticed a lot of play in the valve stems. I just so happen to have another Genesis 1000 so I checked the valves on that manifold and there isn't any play in them. I connected the manifold with the loose valve stems and fired the grill up, the valves in fact do not function correctly. They light ok but moving through Hi, Med and low isn't correct. The front tube goes out on low setting and the back burner tuber is very similar in behavior to the front burner tube. The center tube seems to light and burn at a low setting regardless of where the knob is set.

I have a video of the knobs but couldn't figure out how to post it, any suggestion on posting a vide would also be appreciated.

So, here's my questions?
1. Should the gas control valve/stems have wobble/play in them?
2. Can the the wobble/play be corrected.

Thanks!

I only took a valve apart once, and that was a year ago, so I don't remember specifics.

1. No
2. Yes

This seems to be a classic case of incorrect assembly. I would not mess with the good grill. Watch the video more. Take the bad valves apart and fix them. Perhaps you have the parts from the valves scrambled together as well.

Good luck

I do not think you should use a manifold and valves that behave that way. I think I would swap it out, as I doubt the valves can be practically repaired. I am certainly not the last word, so we will see what others say.

It's not the stems you need to worry about. It's the actual valve spool
I took the valves back apart for further analysis, I believe the spools are fine. I did remove some excess grease from my clean and lube job and will try this manifold again to see if anything improved. The excess grease may have impleaded gas flow and been part of the flame control issue I saw. It seems to me that the original design may have been a slight friction/interference fit of the stem and upper valve cap. I think these valves are just worn at the stem cap interface and that's what is giving the stem the extra movement. I believe the grill is Genesis 1000 LX from 1996 or 97.

I agree with Larry on this. One thing you should do however is that after you get the manifold and valves back together and reinstalled, I would check for leaks on the valves as well as the rest of the gas line. Just put a bit of dish soap in a sprayer with water. Then open the lp tank and get the system charged and spray any area that you think could possibly leak. If you see bubbles forming, you have a leak.

I guess they could be worrn out, how was it before you took it apart? Another possibility is the old "I know I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what". I've been there plenty of times myself. I think if you want to put a video up, you have to put it on YouTube first and share the link here.

I guess they could be worrn out, how was it before you took it apart? Another possibility is the old "I know I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what". I've been there plenty of times myself. I think if you want to put a video up, you have to put it on YouTube first and share the link here.
They seemed a bit loose before cleaning but were looser after the clean and lube. Which I guess makes sense.

Yeah, the stems themselves don't "seal" anything. They only exist to turn the internal spool.
I just did a leak check as Bruce suggested and that checked out good. Can I use something like a sewing needle to go in the gas valve orifice to make sure its clear?

I just did a leak check as Bruce suggested and that checked out good. Can I use something like a sewing needle to go in the gas valve orifice to make sure its clear?
It's won't "clean" anything. Only push whatever is there outta the way temporarily

Here's some pics of the 1000 LX I've been working on. Waiting on the Stainless Rod grates before I send this baby off to it's second life!!
Just a few explanations about the grill configuration, I made a trade with my buddy for some items he had that I wanted. I explained that I needed the hardware for the flip up table for my 1000 Red Head I getting ready to rehab he was good with that. This grill also had the grey dura wood bottom slats but the z bracket was rusted and my buddy was good with the wire basket bottom. This is my personal preference, but the right edge of the control panel with the white paint has always had a unfinished look in my opinion. So I decided to cut a piece of aluminum and paint it black and attach with the 2 control panel screws. Again my opinion but I think it give the grill a bit of a finished look ! Another tip maybe someone can try, the wheels on the grill are original I used peanut butter to rejuvenate them. There is a slight bit of grit along with oil that brings the plastic back to life. It really doesn't take much peanut butter all you need is a few q-tips and a clean rag. I'm sure there are products out there but I guy showed me the peanut butter trick on some faded car trim and I was amazed!! I also added white hub caps just because I thought they looked cool!. That tank sticker is shot but I should be receiving new ones in the mail Thursday. I created a power point file with the Tank sticker and sent it to Makestickers.com 5 stickers for $10 not to bad.

Attachments

• ME1.jpg
    ME1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 17
  • ME2.jpg
    ME2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 15
  • ME3.jpg
    ME3.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ME4.jpg
    ME4.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 16
  • ME5.jpg
    ME5.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 17
Fantastic job Dave. Everything looks really nice. By the way, you can get replacement stickers for both the warning label and tank level from Jon Tofte here on the forum. I forgot what he charged me for them, a dollar apiece maybe?

Fantastic job Dave. Everything looks really nice. By the way, you can get replacement stickers for both the warning label and tank level from Jon Tofte here on the forum. I forgot what he charged me for them, a dollar apiece maybe?
I shot Jon a message but he didn't reply, figured he was busy so no problem. I have a Genesis 1000 Red Head and a Genesis 4000 that are in the queue so I thought I would just get some stickers.

Back