Genesis 1000 LP Regulator Question

John-NY

TVWBB Super Fan
My Genesis 1000 seems to be outputting a very low amount of flame.
I read that this could be the regulator triggering into Bypass Mode.

Even if that's true, I wanted to try to swap a different grill's LP Regulator onto it, but the newer ones look different; they have a large nut connection on the end.

Is there a certain "old" style Regulator I would have to try to get for the 1000 to try to connect to it?

This is the 1000:

1686098699912.png

This is the new one:
1686098673473.png

Be aware that some aftermarket regulators do not function correctly. I seriously doubt you have an issue with your regulator and FWIW those old grills did not have a bypass mode regulator. I would be looking elsewhere than the regulator for your problem
If you do go new be cautious of ones giving you a 1 PSI spec. The true spec is 11" WC which is just shy of .4 PSI
A lot of the Chinese regulators in the aftermarket are all "jacked up" and push out way too high of pressure

I would probably try a different tank too just to rule that out. It can be the regulator, they do occasionally go bad. You can also try tapping on it with the handle of a screwdriver, there is a spring inside that can get stuck. I can recommend the hose and regulator that Bruce linked above, I am currently using the same one and it works well and is cheap.

Well, I don't think it's a problem with the burner tubes. They look nice and clean and new. Is the grill not getting up to temperature normally? It's hard for me to tell in that light if the flames are too low.

It does look a bit low. So, have you tried letting it run with the lid closed to see how hot it gets?

I’ll try to do a temperature test tomorrow, thanks for the idea.
Can I leave the Flavorizer Bars and Grates out or should I leave them in for an “accurate” test?

Put them in for an accurate test. Otherwise, it will zoom right up and past where it would normally get to. Run it for at least 15 minutes and longer if it is still rising.

It is hard to tell sometimes. It looks like John took his photo with more ambient light. That always hides a good portion of the flames. The burn in test should give a true answer of how much heat the burners are actually putting out.

Double check your burners to make sure they are 100% correct for the grill. I have no explanation why or how it happened to me but I put in new aftermarket burners that were purchased on Amazon as correct (#7508 but don’t hold me to it) for a 1000 series grill. I experienced this exact same low flame phenomenon and chased the same regulator concerns before finally swapping out the burners on a whim. Problem solved. I half expect someone to jump in here and call BS on my experience because it still doesn’t make sense to me either. Regardless, these were my results. Whatever burners they were fit perfectly as they centered the valves nicely in the control panel (I had the grill fully reassembled for the test). They put out a nice blue flame but just wouldn’t come up any higher than a typical Med-Low level at wide open throttle.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of trust in those aftermarket burners. Honestly I cough up the xtra dough for OEM if they can be gotten. I had this happen (not same but similar) on a Q300. That thing would not light for all the tea in China. Got an OEM burner. Lights fine first time every time. If ports are cut wrong, or the proper number of ports are not there, things can change. The cheapies are a crap shoot

I have probably put 75 sets of aftermarket burners in my rehab grills over the last 5 years. I have never found a set that experienced low flame that couldn't be corrected. I did need to adjust the air shutters slightly on one I remember a couple years ago.
John, before you rip those burners out, I would try adjusting the air vents on them both more open and more closed to see if that helps the flame size. Just remember where they are set now so you can go back to that setting if it doesn't help.

What model/brand of burners are you using?

I have probably put 75 sets of aftermarket burners in my rehab grills over the last 5 years. I have never found a set that experienced low flame that couldn't be corrected. I did need to adjust the air shutters slightly on one I remember a couple years ago.
John, before you rip those burners out, I would try adjusting the air vents on them both more open and more closed to see if that helps the flame size. Just remember where they are set now so you can go back to that setting if it doesn't help.

What model/brand of burners are you using?
I probably should’ve mentioned shutter adjustment in my post, too. I tried repeatedly to dial them in while being sure to give adequate time for the flame to settle in after each adjustment before finally resorting to a different set of burners. I have never been unable to dial a set in prior to this occasion nor have I seen it happen again in any of my subsequent rehabs. Hopefully, an adjustment works for the OP.

Here is what my brand new Weber OEM #7508 burners looked like in my Silver B, although like Bruce said above, I have more ambient light than Dan, so it's hard to compare. It looks very similar to John. My temps seem fine, but after reading this thread, I want to take another picture when it's dark outside. :)

1686147358697.png

Post up that picture Steve. Maybe John could do the same.
I'll try to get out there to do it soon. Between all of the time that I'm spending on the Ducane grill already, she's going to think I'm crazy for snapping pictures of my Weber in the dark.

Back