Genesis 1000 Frame Repairs

Derek,
I have the exact same grill that I bought new in 1998. Finding a doner grill with a good frame may be the quickest way to go. Although there was nothing wrong with my frame about four years ago, I found a Gen 3000 and converted mine to a 2000 (Took off the side burner and put in a shelf instead.)DSCN2766.JPG

Derek, it didn't take long, but you are already showing clear signs of "Weberitis". As symptoms progress, you will find several Weber grills in various states of condition showing up in your drive way. You will find tools and supplies for working on them start to appear in your garage. Eventually you will have multiple grills for personal use and possibly be selling others that you have rehabbed.
This is a real thing. My wife is getting nervous as she sees me pulling apart my other newer Genesis after my resto is almost done. It’s like she can sense the itis taking hold. Lmao

I patched one up by pop riveting a piece of pipe strapping on it and it got me through from fall until spring when the weather warmed up but like Bruce said, I wouldn’t wait too long.

C64708EB-131B-4CEA-88B8-E11E98B032F2.jpeg

I have never taken apart this frame, so I may be out to lunch with this idea. My thought was that it may be possible to rotate the rusted area next to the firebox (even after it is repaired) to another, less conspicuous location such as the inside or bottom so that the most viewable side of the grill appears as original as possible.

Wish I knew how to weld
Wire feed, flux core mig is pretty easy. The hard part is getting the settings correct. Add shielding gas and it starts to look like you know what you are doing. I suggest you take a class ( most trade schools offer a one day “into” class ). That will get you well on your way.

Last edited:

Back