Gen 2 vs Gen 4 Performers

Jeff Beitinger

TVWBB Fan
Having a hard time choosing between my most recent acquisitions, GA gen 2 and 4 Performers.
SWMBO has said I have to pick one.
I have a new dark blue bowl and lid already in hand via some incredible generosity along with a trade or two, and I'm just trying to decide which frame gets to be the lucky recipient, and which one is moved on to greener pastures.
The gen 2 frame is in slightly better shape overall, and the gen 4 needs some touching up on the frame if not a repaint and the metal table has some pretty deep scratches and a spot or two of rust on the edges. So also a repaint.

But mostly I just keep going back and forth on which look I prefer...

20211126_144455.jpg20211126_144556_HDR.jpg20211205_124402.jpg20211205_124408.jpg

Gen 2’s are my favorite. I’d put the metal table on it. It always amazes me when I see tables so beat up. It doesn’t take much to keep them nice, or the kettles for that matter.

I like the metal table vs the plastic table.
I like the larger bale on the Gen 4.

Edit: I like the look of the side of a Gen 2 frame a little more than the Gen 4.

I prefer the metal table, but you should be able to easily swap them out, keep the blue kettle and sell the black.

I WAS thinking about taking some parts from the gen 4 and putting them on the gen 2 (table and bail for starters). But I also dig the electonic ignition and (believe it or not) the wheels from the gen 4 better.

Why not set one up for Vortex (wings) and the other for general usage? I was able to have three (she let me? Lol). One is set for Vortex-wings, one with SNS & grill grate-steak & burgers and one set up with rotisserie (bird). Just makes it nice (if you have the room) to be able to go right to cooking instead of setting up the grill. (Two Gen 2 & 1 Gen 4)
Then you can also explain that with this set up you won’t need that ugly deck box out there to put your grill stuff in…Am I right ?

I like the metal table vs the plastic table.
I like the larger bale on the Gen 4.

Edit: I like the look of the side of a Gen 2 frame a little more than the Gen 4.
I'm leaning towards the gen 2. Need to figure out the best way to repaint the metal table

Why not set one up for Vortex (wings) and the other for general usage? I was able to have three (she let me? Lol). One is set for Vortex-wings, one with SNS & grill grate-steak & burgers and one set up with rotisserie (bird). Just makes it nice (if you have the room) to be able to go right to cooking instead of setting up the grill. (Two Gen 2 & 1 Gen 4)
Then you can also explain that with this set up you won’t need that ugly deck box out there to put your grill stuff in…Am I right ?
I am onboard with this option, if you can. I am forever finding myself needing to swap baskets for Vortex set up. I’m considering building another “Double kettle” unit so I can have one for straight basket work and the other for Vortex use. I have the kettles, I’m just not sure where the new unit would live! I was thinking it would also give a good chimney ignition spot. The idea is still kicking around my head. No rush.

Back