Gelatin injection

Greg W

Has anyone experimented with adding dissolved gelatin into an injection into port shoulder prior to smoking? Could this be a way to ensure juiciness and extra lip smackiness?

Haven't tried it, but you would have to work aweful hard to dry out a pork butt, with all its connective tissue.

And it can always be added back in after pulling.

True. Which is why I've never gotten the pork injection thing. It always seems to me to be unnecessary or reads as overkill.

I can maybe see it for a brisket, but as the two before have said, not nec with pork. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me. But this is JMO.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">True. Which is why I've never gotten the pork injection thing. It always seems to me to be unnecessary or reads as overkill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. people like sauce, let them pour on as much flavor as they want. I'm a big believer in recycling the juice from the meat after it rests. If you can defat it, you'll have all the gelatin you need to incorporate back into the pork after its pulled.

I contemplated using the gelatin or even the fat from one brisket cook as the injection for my next (its smokey, spicey, and beefy). But this high heat thing works so well with the choice packers I'm buying, and I find the juice is needed for reheating purposes, so the experiment is on the back burner.

Thanks all for your input. When I'm pulling the pork, it all seems very juicy. But after being out and cooling off somewhat (not to mention cold from the fridge the next day) it seems just to be overly dry.

I have never tried the gelatin, but I do like to add some unsalted butter while I am pulling the butt. I put extra rub and a little butter and work it in with my hands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it seems just to be overly dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use a finishing sauce (see third paragraph) and Edmund's idea works too. The point: Since you can add whatever during pulling, injection for the purposes of texture or flavor is unnecessary. You certainly can go through the motions but it is easier to add stuff after than to go through the injecting process. (Gelatin thins when warm, too. Doesn't really do what you're looking for once heated.)

I have injected butts before - using the Chris Lilly recipe in the pork recipes forum. I like the additional flavor it gives the pork. I don't inject for tenderness - that's a given.

Of course, to each his own, but it is so simple to add whatever you wish during pulling that injecting doesn't seem to be worth the bother--to me. Lilly's injection isn't one I'd see myself using were I a butt injection fan as the sugar content is over-the-top for my taste. It does follow the 'meat candy' dynamic so popular at comps--but that just ain't my preferred profile.

I can see injections for thick meats (butts, hams, beef roasts) that will be served sliced. I usually just sauce or have have sauce available but I can see the use of flavor injections here and on occasion use them, especially for meats that will likely be served unsauced (like for 'cold cut' platters) or where sauce would otherwise get in the way.

Still, it's one of those personal preference things, injections are not hard to make or vary, and can be worth experimenting with.

Back