Gasser newbie looking for thoughts....

Bill yeah that frame section looks to be nearly gone (not just rusted). For the right price and if close by would not be a deal killer as it is fixable. But better to let someone else deal with it. Though those grills are very desirable but IMO this one not so much. As for slow heating could be anything. Many times like others have said it's die to using the tank valve to turn off the grill leaving the knobs on and than reopening the tank valve to start it again. Trips the OPV device.
Best thing then is turn off grill and tank, disconnect the tank wait a few seconds. Reconnect the tank, turn the tank valve on slowly. Than turn on the front burner only light it and continue turning on the remaining burners.
Unless of course there is a physical issue with the manifold (really odd and rare) or there is physical issues with the burners (very possible) especially if it's the crossover burner
Keep hunting

Yeah, I'm going to agree with most here. You will find a better candidate closer to you soon. That grill has two definite issues just from looking at pictures and reading. I'd make like I was smoking: Go slow and low. Works out the best in the end.

First of all, that is definitely a rare find. Never heard that Snap On had them made. I am sure some people would pay a pretty penny just for the lid.
But, it is probably a small market too. The grill otherwise looks pretty good. It would be nice to see the insides besides the cooking grates. But it looks intact. The cook box and end caps are candidates for repainting. The wood slats may be OK, but probably could use replacing.

If you are a SNAP ON nut, then I think it would be cool to own. If not, you can likely find the same condition grill without the SNAP ON logo for half that or less to include the Redhead.

Oh, and you can probably buy a set of aftermarket Flavo Bars for under $40. But, I think I paid about $60 to $70 for my RCPlanebuyer SS bars.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01G69MJ9S/tvwb-20

I think that one looks pretty good. $150 may be a little high. Maybe offer $100. If it just needs flavorizers you could have a fully functional grill for under 200 bucks.

I think the snap on logo is pretty cool.

I think $150 is too expensive. Not sure if LA is that much different from Texas but I have seen these older X000 series showing up on CL in our area for far less than $100.
Here is one for $50:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/d/weber-grill/6569644928.html
Here is a Sprit for $25. If it wouldn't been almost 2h from where I life I would have already grabbed it for the parts.
https://waco.craigslist.org/for/d/gas-grill-weber/6551795239.html
I would be patient. Weber grills show up all the time.

What I personally like about these X000 models and the later Genesis Silver/Gold series, are the fold-up tables. I use them a lot. Unfortunately Weber discontinued this concept when the introduced the new Genesis E/S series around 2007. No more fold-up tables. And the old Genesis Silver models became the Spirit series. Although the Spirit grills look the same as the old Genesis, the frame no longer has the welded on brackets to retrofit a foldup table.

Also look for "Webber" with 2 x b. Often people spell it wrong when they post the grills.

I agree with the comments that this Snap On grill is pretty cool to the right person otherwise a bit steep in price if you don’t care about the unique logo. Maybe a little like the Skyline Series that I love but others would just pass on.

Never hurts to offer!

Yeah a tad high on price but overall a nice unit. Since you're not buying to flip but to keep it does change the dynamics of investment. If you could snag it for $100 and invest a little time and maybe $100 in parts you've got one nice grill and with a cool SnapOn logo to boot. As an old wrench turner I love the SnapOn name (though again here too) not to the point of paying for a logo i,e, the old Skyline series some here really enjoy. They look cool but add nothing to function

Thanks everybody.

After y'all talked me off the ledge 10 days ago, I went ahead and ordered a new Master Touch kettle and some other goodies. They should be here tomorrow! And of course, this pops up locally (from my CL alert, thank you DaveW) that evening, only a couple of miles from my office. Wifey gave me the OK, but i'll wait a week, and play with the new kettle and vortex, as well as the new to me 22wsm I haven't fired up yet.

I figure if he hasn't sold it in a week, i'll take an LP tank over to check it out and offer $100-125. To be honest, that is the style I'd like, (sentimental, it's what my dad had), and if I can get one, in good structural shape and properly functioning, all in for around $200, what a new crappy gasser would cost, I'd feel that was bargain. Certainly they can be had cheaper, particularly in places with a larger metro population, unfortunately the only 2 showing in 150 miles recently were all around $150 and in worse shape or were a 4-5hr round trip.

Bill I agree with your thoughts. If you can get that one done for $200 it's a great deal.

I have a sentimental attachment to that style too and I was actually lucky enough to inherit my dad's old genesis when he passed.

Good luck.

Bill,

Good luck! Sounds like a plan, and I hope it works out for you. If not, looking for the next one can be part of the fun;)!

Jon

Back