Gasser help, high end recommendations.

Bruno

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Not for me!!! I would get plenty of grill time on it though.

If you had a $5,000 budget and wanted a high end natural gas grill to be the central grill in your backyard what would you get? A Summit?? Something else? My recommendation is a stainless Summit even though I haven’t researched them much.

Thanks.

I would stick with Weber, but I think there are some Wolf fans here on the forum and Napoleon also has some interesting options on their gas grills (gas/charcoal hybrid).

I would not by from Amazon. Try to find a local dealer if you can. If you buy from Amazon and something comes damaged, or missing from the carton, you'll be dealing with people that don't care about you/your business. If you buy local, you at least have a chance at good customer experience.

It’s for a relative, obviously I am a Weber nut, but I think my Q-320 is the best grill ever and could really get by with that and my performer.

I love Weber for the customer service they have shown me for 10 plus years. I don’t want to be to narrow minded though with someone else’s money. Would love to hear of other brands as well.

Last edited:
My father-in-law had a Jenn-air outdoor propane grill that he really loved. It was a steak searing beast. He had really good customer support with Jenn-air as well, very similar to Weber

If I bought a $5k cooker and kept it outside I think I'd only do so if I could continue replacing it after it deteriorated. The grill center that you showed is definitely a beauty but I don't have confidence that it nor any others would last a lifetime. I did splurge on an S-670 last year but only because of an inheritance, and I wheel it into the basement between cooks. And I worry about the cook box burn through often spoken about here.

Tell him to look at Broil King.

Attachments

• 7965C166-5166-4226-BC91-F93362CB96CD.jpeg
    7965C166-5166-4226-BC91-F93362CB96CD.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3B5D58D8-A1C5-4953-BC70-2602B5A2859F.jpeg
    3B5D58D8-A1C5-4953-BC70-2602B5A2859F.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 3
It’s for a relative,
I'd ask more questions about what they are really looking for.

5K is a very healthy budget.

Questions I'd want to ask are?
Type of cooks? Number of people cooked for?
Year round cooking or only in good weather?
NG is tethered to a hose, but can be moved but move-ability has limits. how move-able does it need to be?

At one time I wanted a built-in, but I always found other things to spend money on and it just wasn't a priority.

Anyway, I don't have any first-hand experience with anything high end short of window shopping at dealers.
Friends and neighbors have some built ins and they look nice. I've never cooked on them.

There are tools on the internet to design a built-in. Its more ideation for me. here's one.

Would never drop $5k on those rust buckets. Look for a brand made of all 304SS definitely would NOT be Weber. Not Broil King either. Bottom line with something as expensive as a used car I would be looking for it to REALLY last and a Summit will not. Just look at all the issues we see shown here on this board with them

He’s got a Weber gas grill now, I don’t know which one, probably a genesis. He does not grill a ton, but that would increase with the new backyard and family gatherings. He had the spa guy run NG while everything was being dug up. He’s not looking for anything too crazy and I’m trying to convince him to run the genny til it dies. Which he’s open to. The summmit reviews are certainly a mixed bag.

Would never drop $5k on those rust buckets. Look for a brand made of all 304SS definitely would NOT be Weber. Not Broil King either. Bottom line with something as expensive as a used car I would be looking for it to REALLY last and a Summit will not. Just look at all the issues we see shown here on this board with them
Now that’s the type of input I’m looking for!!

Fire Magic would probably be my first choice, but Wolf, Lynx and some others are also up there. Unfortunately, in this league, even $5K goes only so far. If I was in that league I would look hard to swoop in on a barely used one.

If you want possibly the best metal used in a grill, consider Blaze who makes a "marine grade" 316 stainless grill:

It's fun to spend someone else's money! :smilekettle: For me, I will have to stick with bringing back classic Webers.

I'd ask more questions about what they are really looking for.

5K is a very healthy budget.

Questions I'd want to ask are?
Type of cooks? Number of people cooked for?
Year round cooking or only in good weather?
NG is tethered to a hose, but can be moved but move-ability has limits. how move-able does it need to be?

At one time I wanted a built-in, but I always found other things to spend money on and it just wasn't a priority.

Anyway, I don't have any first-hand experience with anything high end short of window shopping at dealers.
Friends and neighbors have some built ins and they look nice. I've never cooked on them.

There are tools on the internet to design a built-in. Its more ideation for me. here's one.

THIS. What’s the use model, what part of USA, what do they want and need to cook?

Personally, I’d avoid the Summit Webers. I have owned 2 and the burn through issue sucks. They’re good grills cooking wise but I’d buy either a Blaze for the same money and get much better materials.

Start learning here: https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-smokers/built-in-gas-grills

Problem is, $5k is just below very high end, not necessarily “better” but at the point of very rich peoples back yard setups (grill only). I think there’s good value in the $2500-$3500 range without getting into a pi%%ing contest of who has a better grill.

For $5k, I’d buy a WSC S6 and add a 4 burner NG grill SS with a roto and sear station. Or buy Amazon stock pre split, 20-1, and buy a WSC E6 and call it a day.

He’s got a Weber gas grill now, I don’t know which one, probably a genesis. He does not grill a ton, but that would increase with the new backyard and family gatherings. He had the spa guy run NG while everything was being dug up. He’s not looking for anything too crazy and I’m trying to convince him to run the genny til it dies. Which he’s open to. The summmit reviews are certainly a mixed bag.
I’ll sell you my Summit S670, in near excellent condition for $1600. NG too.

My god, I can’t fathom dropping that kind of money on a gasser, or a charcoal (old “collectible” ones don’t count) or pellet.

There’s always that part of me that thinks does a $5000 grill cook better than a $500 grill? No way. And the stuff I can buy with that money after buying a $500 grill.

If I got a crazy streak, it would be that Summit posted.

Tim, I definitely agree that there are diminishing returns on the extra amounts you spend. It does irk me that someone dropping 2 grand on a huge Summit gets it home to find out that the firebox has high potential to burn-through in time. Meanwhile, the cheap metal used in the cabinetry will definitely rust out unless given a safe, dry place to stay and carefully maintained.

These megathousand dollar grills probably don't grill tremendously better - I will let @LMichaels weigh in since he is blessed own one and has the experience I don't. I think the way bigger difference is the quality of materials used. It costs to have all 304 stainless in thick grade and even more for 316 stainless. At least those grills can weather the environment without turning into landfill bait.

Summit Rusty Bottom.jpg

Summit JUNK with logo.jpeg

All good info, as the “BBQ” nut in the family I’m just trying to give good info.
The person who is buying it doesn’t mind spending the money, but is looking for good quality in return for it.

Thanks again for all of your input. Looking forward to more.

How about an NG Genny 435 with the sear burner and a side burner and a Summit S6. Both combined are close to 4K.

I'm not a fan of the SS hood but it was the easiest pic to copy/paste

1647711842616.png1647711953861.png

Back