Gas Powered Smokers

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
I'm trying to solve my winter BBQ cravings. As some of you know I live in Prince George, B.C. It gets a little cold in the winter. Costco has a nice looking gas powered smoker for sale. I was thinking of buying it as I can't keep the WSM hot enough in the winter here. Has anyone used a gas powered smoker before? Is there anything that I should be looking for?

Cheers;

C

I once had a 7-1 unit that was essentially a gas smoker. It worked pretty good, but I prefer the wsm. If you can't keep the wsm hot, it's probably because of the wind. If you do have a lot of wind, a gas smoker can have the flame go out. So, if you have to build a wind break, why not just stick with the wsm?

Bottom line is that you can get good bbq from an oven so, if whether or not you can get good eats out of it is your concern, I wouldn't be concerned. You'll probably have to do the aluminum foil pouches to get any smoke. For some reason, when there is a flame, it's harder to get good smoke.

I have to agree with Jerry, wind is the main culprit, not the cold. Granted, you fuel will burn out faster because it takes more energy in the cold to keep temps up, but I have done many cooks in below zero temps.

Sorry, can't help you with the gas powered thing, I didn't even know that made such a cooker.

I use a Propane fired smoker. I am totally happy with it. I have the Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain Big Block. I find it very simple to use and get an average 30 hours a cook per tank.

SMOKER%20GYMNASTICS%202%20[4%20SEPT%2006%29.jpg

My brother in Chicago has a propane-powered Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain, also. I've cooked on it several times (e.g., spares, apple-brined turkey, butt and salmon).

I think it's a great machine. It's so bloody easy to use, requires very little prep, holds a lot of meat, goes for a long time on one tank and the Q tastes just as good as the Q from my WSM.

I love my WSM, but I'd trade it for a G.O. in a heatbeat if I could get propane here. Just this lazy man's personal preference. I don't expect anyone to agree.

Sal

Thanks for the input. The Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain is what I bought from Costco. Wind isn't so much a problem for me as -15c. It uses so much fuel to keep the temp up it gets to be a pain in the arse going outside all the time. I will post my conclusions about the differences and preferences I find. Thanks again everyone.

C

I have used a 3600 GOSM for a few years now and have had to monitor the temp when it is very windy, not really any problem in cold weather,I have a semi covered area on the deck and sometimes have to put up a wind break around it. I usually get 30+ hrs per tank and have a couple extras on standby. I agonized over getting the GOSM over the WSM but some co-workers have them and I went with it. I will add that I just picked up a WSM and am excited to use it. There are a couple sites I found that GOSM users have made mods that you may be interested in, PM me if so. Happy Smokin'

I bought the one from COSCO it works great and will maintain a 230 temp in cold weather its called a grand cafe, I'm in Northern Idaho and cook year around. I just finished a turkey yesterday in a ft. of snow, not bad on propaine but will break you in smoking chips, i use a device I made for cold smoking to add the smoke, uses very fewchips and alot of smoke.

Joe, does yours go through wood chips like crazy?

Its -29c for the past few days so I haven't had a chance to crank it up as I really don't want to be outside for too long. As soon as it warms up I have a Butt and a Brisket that I'm going to cook off. I will post the findings.

Cheers;

C

To cut back on chip useage. There a few people who add additional smoke maker. I am currently looking into a electric add on. Doing this will alllow me not to open my smoker to add chips. I use a saw dust type its seems a little cheaper as I got a 40lb bag from a local butcher who smokes there own me. The cost was like $12. I have been useing it year now and still have a half a bag left. Check local wood mills if any in the area. See if they a hardwood sawdust pile and you can use that pretty cheap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin B.:
I'm trying to solve my winter BBQ cravings. As some of you know I live in Prince George, B.C. It gets a little cold in the winter. Costco has a nice looking gas powered smoker for sale. I was thinking of buying it as I can't keep the WSM hot enough in the winter here. Has anyone used a gas powered smoker before? Is there anything that I should be looking for?

Cheers;

C </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Collin,
I own the Great Outdoor Smokey Mountain propane smoker and I am quite satisfied with it. I purchased it this spring from Home Depot.

Last year, I purchased a water heater blanket to use with my WSM, and plan on wrapping the GOSM with it. This week we in Southern Ontario are enjoying balmy weather, but there will be a sudden change later today, not as drastic as you have it but, it will be starting.

When I'm smoking in the winter months, I like to have the smokers closer to the patio door, and the use of wireless temp probes really helps

Good smoking, John

Back