Gas help

Andrew-F

Hey, new Weber owner. I used my old gas tank, which was fine. Then changed when it emptied. Now the gas comes through so fast it blows itself out, anyone know why? Regulator and pipe new ones from Weber, so only thing changed is a new tank. I bought a different gas cylinder and the same thing happened. No idea why, any help?

@Andrew-F congrats on your new Weber! Are we talking propane? The newer tanks have a safety feature that will limit the flow of gas if you open the valve on the tank too fast. To reset the safety seal, turn the propane valve off and wait a minute or so. When opening the valve, turn the valve slowly until fully open.

I hope this helps and welcome to the TVWBB!

What model of grill are you using? Can you explain what you mean by "pipe"? Why did you get new regulator and "pipe" from Weber? Was there anything wrong with the old one?

Pictures would help a lot.

@Andrew-F congrats on your new Weber! Are we talking propane? The newer tanks have a safety feature that will limit the flow of gas if you open the valve on the tank too fast. To reset the safety seal, turn the propane valve off and wait a minute or so. When opening the valve, turn the valve slowly until fully open.

I hope this helps and welcome to the TVWBB!
Thanks. I normally just turn the regulator valve straight on quickly, so I will try it slower. Yes it is a propane gas.
First ever Weber, best quality BBQ ever bought and I have had many poor quality ones.

What model of grill are you using? Can you explain what you mean by "pipe"? Why did you get new regulator and "pipe" from Weber? Was there anything wrong with the old one?

Pictures would help a lot.
I meant the new regulator that came with the BBQ. You know the pipes that get lit to enable you to cook. It’s those once lit the power of the gas coming through that blows the flame out.

Welcome aboard the most informative and fun grilling site ever!
I’ve never heard of your particular problem and the good folks here will certainly help you overcome this (or many possible) problem.
So, you have tried closing the tank valve and re opening slowly and the igniter starts the first burner then blows it out, then the crossover pipe ignites and the flame comes back up the first burner? Do all the burners light?
Do post some pictures and let us know what model you have, some models have some peculiarities which the other guys here know better than I.

On brand new "burners" which is what those "pipes" are called now you are a proper nomenclature expert. :D Some "lifting of the flame and popping" is normal. You may be getting low gas flow. Try doing a regulator reset procedure. Turn the grill off, shut the LP tank. Disconnect it. Now reconnect it paying attention that the acme nut is screwed on all the way and firmly (not crazy tight). Now sloooowly open the LP valve. Then open one burner control and light it. Once going go the next and continue one at a time. Odds are all will be fine

I see you're in the UK. It would be really helpful to know the model and see a few photos (or a short video clip) to help you diagnose the problem. For example, some of the newer grills (Genesis II and later) do not have a crossover tube... but there might be design differences in UK/EU models.

If the flames are floating high and blowing out, the regulator might be in bypass mode. Or, the fuel/air mixture might need to be adjusted, etc.

If the grill operated fine you're not going to "adjust" a problem away. I see this stuff all too much. It's like people I see constantly falling for "I have to get my car's alignment done". Well, why? If there is something "wrong" "adjustment" will not "fix" anything only mask it. Replace the faulty part and all of a sudden everything is straight again.
So, in the case i.e. of OP's grill. They stated it operated find until a tank change. Well. why? Find that out. The grill did not magically go out of adjustment

If the grill operated fine you're not going to "adjust" a problem away. I see this stuff all too much. It's like people I see constantly falling for "I have to get my car's alignment done". Well, why? If there is something "wrong" "adjustment" will not "fix" anything only mask it. Replace the faulty part and all of a sudden everything is straight again.
So, in the case i.e. of OP's grill. They stated it operated find until a tank change. Well. why? Find that out. The grill did not magically go out of adjustment

Depends. Yes, the 'old' tank may have something to do with it, as the OP said he tried using 2 different new tanks and the same problem exists. So one question is, did the old tank have less/more restriction than the new tanks? This is why we need more info and context, especially since he is in another market (UK) with potentially different laws & regulations on tanks, valves, safety devices, etc. Also, newer regulators from Weber seem to be of lower quality, as I've noticed more complaints regarding faulty or failed regulators appearing in various online reviews posted after 2022.

e.g. If you put new wider (or narrower) tires on a vehicle and it starts handling oddly, your parts can be perfectly fine, but you still might need to adjust the alignment (at least toe-in/out and camber) due to different rolling resistance, contact patch, and other characteristics of the tire/size.

I think we need a video. Start with grill alone and not tank installed. Then show hooking up the tank, opening the tank, then hitting igniter with video showing the burners. The seems to be a lot of vague description of the problem along with terminology that is not familiar or specific to the issue. Written communication leaves out a lot of information many times.

Please post a video showing and describing the issue.

Back