Gas Grill Negative

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
First of all; I have never owned or operated a Gas Grill as I am a long-term Charcoal Grill user. In my BBQ Arsenal I have a Weber Performer Deluxe, 2008 WSM 18" Classic and a Weber Smoky Joe 14". I have never had a problem in the cleaning or maintenance of any of these grills over the last twelve(12) years or so. My only problem was the learning process in "operating" these types of grill in order to reach and maintain the proper temperature which has greatly improved over these many years.

Last January I went shopping for my first gas grill and walked-out with the Weber Performer Deluxe based my reluctance to operate and clean a gas grill. My future plan is still to add a Weber Spirit II or Genesis to my BBQ Arsenal, so, from a user perspective how difficult is it to maintain and clean a gas grill in comparison to a Charcoal Grill? Please note that I did not include how easy it is to operate as it appears to be just "flip-the-switch" and start grilling.

Oh, I am also leaning to purchase a WeberQ Gas Grill which appears somewhat easy to maintain and clean in comparison to the larger Weber Gas Grills??

Last edited:
First of all; I have never owned or operated a Gas Grill as I am a long-term Charcoal Grill user. In my BBQ Arsenal I have a Weber Performer Deluxe, 2008 WSM 18" Classic and a Weber Smoky Joe 14". I have never had a problem in the cleaning or maintenance of any of these grills over the last twelve(12) years or so. My only problem was from learning process in "operating" these types of grill in order to reach and maintain the proper temperature which has greatly improved over these many years.

Last January I went shopping for my first gas grill and walked-out with the Weber Performer Deluxe based my reluctance to operate and clean a gas grill. My future plan is still to add a Weber Spirit II or Genesis to my BBQ Arsenal, so, from a user perspective how difficult is it to maintain and clean a gas grill in comparison to a Charcoal Grill? Please note that I did not include how easy it is to operate as it appears to be just "flip-the-switch" and start grilling.

Oh, I am also leaning to purchase a WeberQ Gas Grill which appears somewhat easy to maintain and clean in comparison to the larger Weber Gas Grills??
I think by nature, a gas grill will require a little bit more maintenance/cleaning than a kettle. Most of the drippings on a charcoal grill are either burned up by the lit charcoal or if indirect, caught on a conveniently placed drip tray. However, there's still necessary practice of ash handling and disposal to consider.

As an owner of both, I don't find using gas to be an issue at all. On both my Genesis 1000 and the new Genesis II E-435, I tend to over-index on cleaning. I pull the drip tray and drip pan after almost every cook and wash them out. This takes me 10 minutes, maximum. Maybe every month or so, I'll brush off the flavorizer bars.

On the exterior, I hit the lid up with glass cleaner and a microfiber towel. SS side tables get SS cleaner and a microfiber towel, after each use and then it's covered. Is this necessary? No. But I like to keep my equipment in good condition so it never becomes a huge problem.

Gas grills are easy.

Scrape the grates and flav bars. Empty the grease tray. Do a deep clean (really a deep scrape) once a year. Or skip that. Keep it covered (but with ventilation) to avoid rust.

Other than that level of cleaning -- there's zero maintenance unless something breaks.

Get yourself a 10-15 year old used Genesis in reasonable shape off of CL for $150 and clean it up yourself. It will last you 15-20 years. They are very sturdy and simple mechanically, and Weber still supplies lots of spare parts.

Get yourself a 10-15 year old used Genesis in reasonable shape off of CL for $150 and clean it up yourself. It will last you 15-20 years. They are very sturdy and simple mechanically, and Weber still supplies lots of spare parts.
JIM:
I am retired long-term Resident of Costa Rica and finding used Webers on the Costa Rican Craig-List is like finding a ton of Gold. Thanx for your excellent Advice.

Last edited:
Richard, I added a gasser to my lineup earlier this year. As someone not yet of retirement age, the gasser has been great for weeknight cooks. The newest Genesis II series looks very solid. The only downside is they are not great rotisserie machines because of the front-to-back orientation of the burners; Weber only puts an IR rotisserie burner on the top-of-the-line Summits. But you have the perfect rotisserie set-up for your performer. Like Andrew and Jim have said, maintenance is simple.

This Genesis II SE-330 would look great on that plaza of yours!
GenesisIICrimson1.jpg

You mentioned a Weber Q. If all you want to do is fast, hot grilling of stuff like burgers, chops, steaks, chicken strips, the Q would be an excellent choice. Probably the easiest gas grill to clean since it has no flavorizer bars. Just lift off the grate, use a plastic putty scraper and scrape the gunk into the bottom grease catch pan. The one thing is, you do need to keep up with it to prevent problems. I don't know how available - or pricey - a Q is down there, but I could strongly recommend one.

IMG_4264.JPEG

IMG_4266.JPEG

If the Q is going to supplement your performer, then I agree with Jon, the Q is great for hot and fast. If you are thinking about moving away from charcoal and the gasser will be your main or only grill, then I think the versatility of a full size Genny II would be preferable to the Q.

If the Q is going to supplement your performer, then I agree with Jon, the Q is great for hot and fast. If you are thinking about moving away from charcoal and the gasser will be your main or only grill, then I think the versatility of a full size Genny II would be preferable to the Q.
J Grotz: Most probable will be a give-away of my WSM 18" Classic that has served me well. I will keep my Weber Performer Deluxe mainly for some Grilling, some BBQing and Spinning-the-Bird with my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie. The Weber Q may be the one I go to when I want a grilling session Quick and Easy for the wife, our dog and I.

However, your Weber Genesis is sure a great looking grill and very well may go that way as you only live once even if it will be somewhat "overkill" on my part.

Also, that is one beautiful back-yard behind that beautiful Grill!

Oh, why did you prefer your Genesis over the Spirit II? Thanx for the reply.

Last edited:

Back