Garlic-Mushroom side for Steak

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
Originally found this in a Cajun-Creole cookbook by Terry Thompson. Been making this one for years, tweaked it a bit.

Ingredients:

Approx 1 lb button mushrooms
1 T butter, 1 T olive oil
12 garlic cloves
Around 2 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup red wine
1.5 cup beef broth (homemade or low sodium)

Method:

Clean the mushrooms. If small, leave whole. If larger cut in half. Try to keep the size uniform. Same for garlic - if the cloves are large cut in half crossways.

In a saute pan over low to medium heat melt the butter and add olive oil. Gently cook the garlic for 3 - 5 mins until beginning to soften and starting to become golden.

Add the mushrooms and stir. Adjust heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally. Need to get the mushrooms to start releasing moisture and beginning to brown.

Add red wine and Worcestershire, stirring often to reduce the liquid until almost a glaze. Add the broth and continue to reduce until the mushrooms are glazed. Season with fresh ground black pepper.

Top your grilled steak with these beauties.

Notes:

Watch the initial cook of the garlic so it does not brown too much. It needs to cook a bit at this stage. Once the mushrooms are in the temp can be raised a bit.

The recipe calls for no salt as the broth I normally use has plenty, as does the Worcester. If using homemade stock you may want to consider seasoning with salt after the reduction has nearly finished. The taste will tell you if it needs seasoning. I've never needed to add any.

I've also made this with "mock" veal stock, ie beef and chicken broth in equal measures. Still a winner.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I do. Easy to make and adds a ton of flavor.

This is a must try, thanks for sharing Mark!
I've been looking for a good steak topper that gives a flavor boost, without overpowering the steak's own flavor.

You're welcome. The garlic can be pretty rich in this, you can add as much or as little as you want. I don't always use the butter, since it's not always on hand. But it really makes the glaze.

Back