Garlic Infused Tri Tip Roast

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
After seeing Bob Corrall’s post HERE
on garlic flavored steak, I decided to see if I could infuse the garlic flavor into the tri tip roast.
I coated the roast with Penzeys black pepper and garlic powder. Wrapped, and then placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
I plan on cooking this Sunday.
DSC_5758.jpg

This morning I rinsed off the garlic powder and pepper. Then I trimmed some of the excess fat away,
let it dry and then will salt, hit it with some olive oil and then a little bit of Penzeys BBQ 3000
and Bicentennial rub. Even after the rinsing off, the roast has a strong aroma of garlic.
Hopefully it will be deep inside the meat.
DSC_5807.jpg

Fired up the WSM with a few chunks of pecan. Roast put on at a steady 225 degrees.
DSC_5818.jpg

The roast was pulled off the smoker at internal temp of 135 and tented.
DSC_5823.jpg

The sides for tonight are Bush’s Baked Beans, summer and zucchini squash (marinated with Mrs. Dash Spicy Teriyaki sauce).
DSC_5828.jpg

The sides were then put onto the WSM.
DSC_5831.jpg

Sides off the smoker. I would have liked to had the squash stay a little longer on the smoker, but got hit with a thunderstorm.
DSC_5836.jpg

Roast sliced, real juicy and medium rare the way we like it.
DSC_5841.jpg

Here’s your plate!
DSC_5842.jpg

Okay, the results of the experiment are that the roast took on a slight garlic flavor throughout which was not overpowering.
So I guess if I want a stronger garlic flavor it will either have to be injected, use more garlic powder or keep it longer
in the rub, but 24 hours was a long time. The dinner was very delicious and this actually was the first time I actually got
the meat to be a medium rare. Thanks Bob for the inspiration to try something different!

Thanks for looking!

Terrific looking tri tip, sides, and photos Mike!
Man, I've got to work on my plated shots after seeing yours.

I would think that 24 hrs. is more than enough time to infuse garlic flavor, if it's going to happen.
With my small piece of meat, the garlic powder covered it to the point of not seeing any meat at all.
I realize that's a lot for something the size of a tri tip.

Another thought I have is using garlic juice as part of the liquid in a marinade.
Maybe Jim L has me on a gaaaalic kick
icon_rolleyes.gif

Tri tip looks great Mike, I have to try one on the WSM, I did one on the Performer with a reverse sear. The fire wire seems handy, how do you like it?

greatLOOKIN'cookin' Mike!

ya gotta remember, garlic (or as i like to call it GAAAAAALIC) is really good for you.
the more you eet it, the better you'll feel and live and love and sleep.
Now, if that ain't good for you... nothing on this EArth is!
So, put that gaaaaalic on/in everything!
(except your milk)

Great Tri Mike!!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Eric, the fire wire was a good investment. Really like how you can spread the items out around the grill and save room. I bought them HERE.

Back