Game plan for 12lb brisket on 14" WSM

LarryL

TVWBB Member
Happy Saturday everyone. After watching way too many videos and reading more posts/articles, I decided I'd try my hand at cooking a brisket on my WSM14. The smallest brisket available at Costco was 12lbs. I know I can't fit it all on the top grate, so I was going to separate the point and flat and hope they fit. Assuming they do fit, would you put the point or the flat on the top grate? I was thinking the flat would go on the top grate, but I'm really not sure. I've never measured the temperature at the bottom grate so I'm not sure how far off it is from the top grate.

If the flat doesn't fit on the grate, I was going to lop off enough of the thinner side of the flat to make it fit.

Wondering what you all think of my strategy.

Thanks in advance

Just drop it off here. It will shrink enough to fit with ease. Course...

You might be able to trim it and use something to bend in the middle to fit between the handles. Otherwise you can cut the brisket and do double decker.

Waterpan I might be tempted to do flat on lower deck. But an actual expert will chime in soon.

I've done brisket up to about 17 pounds on my wsm 14. I just cut it in half, using the grills as a guide for where to make the cut. One piece goes on the top, the other on the bottom. I've not found much of a difference in temperature top vs. bottom, though the thick/point end will take a little longer wherever you place it.

I usually leave them on the wsm for about 10 hours, then put them in the oven if needed (wrapped in foil) until they reach about 200 degrees F.

I've done brisket up to about 17 pounds on my wsm 14. I just cut it in half, using the grills as a guide for where to make the cut. One piece goes on the top, the other on the bottom. I've not found much of a difference in temperature top vs. bottom, though the thick/point end will take a little longer wherever you place it.

I usually leave them on the wsm for about 10 hours, then put them in the oven if needed (wrapped in foil) until they reach about 200 degrees F.
Thanks. Since you use the grate as a guide for where to cut I guess you have one section that is just the flat and is smaller than the other section that is a combination of point and flat (or vice versa)?

Just drop it off here. It will shrink enough to fit with ease. Course...

You might be able to trim it and use something to bend in the middle to fit between the handles. Otherwise you can cut the brisket and do double decker.

Waterpan I might be tempted to do flat on lower deck. But an actual expert will chime in soon.
thanks Tony.

Back