"Gambit-II" Trial Run

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
I wanted to post some photos of my newest toy. I originally learned to BBQ low-n-slow using a Weber OTG kettle and a Cajun Bandit Stacker. I installed a 4-hole damper from a WSM on it for air control, a 16" clay saucer as a heat deflector and used Maverick wireless thermometers. It wasn't perfect, but I learned a lot. My kids named the rig "Gambit" (X-Man comic book character, he was a Louisiana thief... a Cajun Bandit.) Unfortunately the grill's leg was damaged in a storm (the Stacker ring survived) and I moved to a WSM.

But I've gotten old, and cleaning out the WSM can be a chore. I still had the Stacker ring, so I bought a short Performer and built a new "Gambit-II". I installed a Weber 4-hole damper, and then added a PitmasterIQ-200 for better temp control. (Obviously I run with the sweep closed.) I use a 9" 4x4 aluminum T-bar to create a Minion-like ring. Flavor wood is locally sourced white oak with KBB charcoal.

Once it was put together, time to test it out! Beef Dino bones! And as long as I'm burning charcoal, I added a slab of St. Louis pork ribs. (The pork ribs had a significant change in thickness so I cut them in half for different cooking times.)

Here are the setup shots... I forgot to get a pic of the damper before I attached the IQ-200, and forgot a pic of the clay saucer I used as a heat deflector.

IMG_3754.jpg
IMG_3756.jpg
IMG_3755.jpg
IMG_3759.jpg
IMG_3758.jpg

I like the wind brake idea. Break? Now if it could be fireproof... welding blanket? Or use hard pieces?

Great idea you have
Oops. It is a welding blanket.

Last edited:
Nice setup, looks like it sure does the job.
I hear ya about getting older and cleaning out the WSM. That's why I sold mine and got a pellet grill.... much easier to clean and use.

Impressive little setup, should be good to cook it all!
Food looks great too....it's early and I come here every morning apparently to be hungry all day.

Back