Funny/Tragic Story

I have to agree. I should probably be ashamed of how many packages of that brand of instant mashed I've made over the last five years. I was thrilled when for a short time Costco carried boxes of ten envelopes at about $0.80/envelope. I've still got two boxes in the pantry. They're a bit like Keurig coffee in that they aren't quite as good as the authentic version, but not so much worse that the convenience doesn't more than make up for it. 85% of the quality at less than 50% the effort.
I'll third that.
Last year when you had a hard time finding anything, we lucked out and bought some from Sam's.
Honestly for the Wife and I those are a better bargain, and have a perfect shelf life.

I'll third that.
Last year when you had a hard time finding anything, we lucked out and bought some from Sam's.
Honestly for the Wife and I those are a better bargain, and have a perfect shelf life.
I always put a bit of Better Then Bouillon Chicken in the boiling water before adding the potatoes. It ups the flavor profile considerably. I typically use about a teaspoon, which would be about half strength.

I'll also toss a bit more cheese into the cheese flavored ones. A bit of freshly grated Parmesan will kick up the flavor on most of them. Doesn't take much to make a big flavor impact.

Those sound like fine “improvements“ Jay. This year was the first in a long time that I mashed from scratch. To be honest, I noticed. Don’t know if anyone else really noticed but, there were just enough lumps for me to know.
One of the advantages of not having someone always looking over my shoulder when I prep for big feasts. I can do things as I see fit!
Now, kids get off my lawn!

Been ricing the potatoes for mashed. Seems to really help.

Boxed has convenience and quality. Lots of potatoes sold today are poor quality. I actually find it hard to get good quality potatoes. And don't get me started on how poisonous they are. Lots of farmers will not eat their own potatoes. Boxed are always on hand.
However they do have one major drawback.

And don't get me started on how poisonous they are.
Funny you should mention that. I just watched a video on YouTube about how a family in Russia was killed by the potatoes they had stored in their basement/root cellar. It's approaching dinner time so father goes down to the basement to get some potatoes. Mother realizes he's been down there quite a while and calls to him. No response, so she goes down to look. She's gone a few minutes with no reply to shouts, so grandmother goes down the stairs. No reply from her. Big brother goes down the stairs. All the others had closed the basement door behind them to keep the cold from getting into the kitchen, but the son left the door open. He doesn't return. Now the 8-year-old daughter goes to check it out and finds everyone dead on the basement floor. The potatoes had released some kind of poisonous gas that instantly killed them all. The daughter survived because the open door allowed enough fresh air into the basement so the gas wasn't as concentrated. She was the only one to survive.

Potatoes are a relative of deadly nightshade.

Funny you should mention that. I just watched a video on YouTube about how a family in Russia was killed by the potatoes they had stored in their basement/root cellar. It's approaching dinner time so father goes down to the basement to get some potatoes. Mother realizes he's been down there quite a while and calls to him. No response, so she goes down to look. She's gone a few minutes with no reply to shouts, so grandmother goes down the stairs. No reply from her. Big brother goes down the stairs. All the others had closed the basement door behind them to keep the cold from getting into the kitchen, but the son left the door open. He doesn't return. Now the 8-year-old daughter goes to check it out and finds everyone dead on the basement floor. The potatoes had released some kind of poisonous gas that instantly killed them all. The daughter survived because the open door allowed enough fresh air into the basement so the gas wasn't as concentrated. She was the only one to survive.

Potatoes are a relative of deadly nightshade.
Live and learn:

Back