Full spares, no foil

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Quick post about a recent cook. Full spareribs. The only thing I trimmed was fat and the brisket bone (which I should have saved for Sunday gravy!). 2/3 CBP + 1/3 kosher salt. 5 hours over mostly cherry with a little hickory. No foiling. (Remember, kids: When it comes to smoke wood, more is less....) Stabilized with IKEA SS accordian pot lid holder. Spritzed with beer after 3 hours. WSM ran 260-275 at grate; 250-260 at lid. No sliced photos, but 1) people were hungry and 2) you've seen sliced ribs before. Moist, flavorful and tender. Got rave reviews. Served with Modified #5 sauce and store-bought potato salad, coleslaw, 3-bean salad and King's Hawaiian rolls. (I was bach'ing it at the time.) Happy Weekend.

6hO1c6y.jpg

0f5NHYr.jpg

At 3 hour mark

QFG6ftj.jpg

Done--5 hours

iuh2KGg.jpg

Those ribs look outstanding Monty! Wonderful color. My last couple of Spare Rib cooks I've gone with the St. Louis trim. I always feel guilty trimming the tips and breast plate and doing nothing with it, even though I always tell myself I will.... later. I just seem to have a hard time getting good slices without the trim. Too many bones. I just watched a Malcom Reed video where he does a full rack of spares, no trimming except for a little fat. He got done with his smoke and made his slices perfectly and with very little effort. I'm not there yet.

Back