Full Size Griddle for Genesis 1000 ?

Couple of comments…

Stainless steel cooks differently and is not nonstick - we have a set of all clad that sits unused because it’s a pain in the *** to prevent sticking

Cast iron can be seasoned (except if enameled - I bought a half griddle that replaces one grate exactly - it is rough and cannot hold seasoning)

Carbon steel can be seasoned and is generally smoother than cast iron - the griddle I linked is same material as on the Weber Slate - smooth and rust resistant (heat treated aka “blued”)

This video convinced me to buy the Weber insert

Couple of comments…

Stainless steel cooks differently and is not nonstick - we have a set of all clad that sits unused because it’s a pain in the *** to prevent sticking

Cast iron can be seasoned (except if enameled - I bought a half griddle that replaces one grate exactly - it is rough and cannot hold seasoning)

Carbon steel can be seasoned and is generally smoother than cast iron - the griddle I linked is same material as on the Weber Slate - smooth and rust resistant (heat treated aka “blued”)

This video convinced me to buy the Weber insert

So do you think thia is the same material as the Weber one ?

QuliMetal 6787 Full Size Griddle Insert for Weber Spirit 300 & GS4 Spirit II 300 Grill, Genesis Silver/Gold B & C, Genesis 1000-3500, Non-stick Flat Top Griddle Replaces Weber Spirit Griddle 7658 7639 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP5Y8T1D?tag=tvwb-20

Maybe same material but not same quality - not as smooth and definitely not rust resistant

My insert is same as Slate which is higher grade than regular Weber griddle line they replaced - compare them side by side at your local hardware store

I bought this “nonstick” quilimetal cast iron griddle - I’m pretty sure it’s enameled cuz seasoning won’t stick and it’s rough as heck

Maybe same material but not same quality - not as smooth and definitely not rust resistant

My insert is same as Slate which is higher grade than regular Weber griddle line they replaced - compare them side by side at your local hardware store

I bought this “nonstick” quilimetal cast iron griddle - I’m pretty sure it’s enameled cuz seasoning won’t stick and it’s rough as heck
I bought the same one for use on my Flat Top. Since that isn’t done, I haven’t tried it. Are you saying you don’t like it?

I liked that the drain hole is in the center and the grease would bypass the problematic firebox front of the Flat Top, which shares the same lower portion as the 1st generation Summit.

Damn..... THAT would have been PERFECT to go with those last two stainless beauties you had..... That would have made it a worthwhile and probably profitable project. Definitely would have gone black box at that point.

Whodda thunk that a deal like that would pop up one or two weeks later....

Damn..... THAT would have been PERFECT to go with those last two stainless beauties you had..... That would have made it a worthwhile and probably profitable project. Definitely would have gone black box at that point.

Whodda thunk that a deal like that would pop up one or two weeks later....
Right! Crazy

I bought the same one for use on my Flat Top. Since that isn’t done, I haven’t tried it. Are you saying you don’t like it?

I liked that the drain hole is in the center and the grease would bypass the problematic firebox front of the Flat Top, which shares the same lower portion as the 1st generation Summit.
I actually haven’t cooked on the Quilimetal either. Originally I intended to have one grate and one griddle on the Vieluxe but went down the griddle insert rabbit hole and wound up with the full size 6787.

Having cooked on the full griddle, I now see the limitations of what you can actually prepare on the smaller insert or more precisely the quantity.

Regardless, the quality of the Weber is what stands out: it is super smooth - the quality of finish is superior to the older Weber stand up griddles, Blackstones and the Quilimetal cast iron. It is rust resistant and comes with heat treatment and pre-seasoning - it looks almost anodized like the old Calphalon anodized aluminum cookware. And it is heavy 24lb versus the 19.29lb of the comparable Quilimetal carbon steel

Would it be nice to have the extra inch of space along the back edge rather than the slot for venting? Of course, but the btus that erupt from that slot is intense and I’d be nervous without that dedicated exhaust - think twice before covering up your whole grilling surface with a griddle that has no defined venting

Another advantage of a griddle insert vs say a blackstone is that you’ve got a hood to cover and protect the griddle - seems like you have to purchase hard covers for many of the lower priced griddles. And having the hood helps speed preheating and can sub as a makeshift dome for melting cheese

I now plan to refurb the Summit 450 and use it as a dedicated griddle with the full size insert. The Vieluxe will be for grilling and spinning

Back