Frustrated with spares on an 18" WSM

Sheldon Koehler

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, this is the first time I have tried cooking spares vs St Louis style on my WSM. With the St Louis, I have no problem coiling them up. With the spare ribs, they keep falling over. This is frustrating as they are far bigger than 18" long.

What do you guys do to cook spare ribs on an 18" WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
OK, this is the first time I have tried cooking spares vs St Louis style on my WSM. With the St Louis, I have no problem coiling them up. With the spare ribs, they keep falling over. This is frustrating as they are far bigger than 18" long.

What do you guys do to cook spare ribs on an 18" WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How many racks are you cooking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
I am cooking 2 today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cut them in half.

That is what I ended up doing, but I probably lost an hours worth of cooking/heat due to messing around with this. Dinner is going to be late tonight...

I used to trim them back to fit on the top grate (cutting off 3 or 4 ribs). I would then cook the cut pieces on the bottom grate.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Mann:
I used to trim them back to fit on the top grate (cutting off 3 or 4 ribs). I would then cook the cut pieces on the bottom grate.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I cut mine in half, I had to rotate one half to get both half's on one grate. There was no way to get 2 ribs on 1 grate.

I trim enough off of the end to get them to fit and put the trimmings either in my bean pot or on the side of the grill to give myself a treat before I serve the st of my hungry guests.

Mike

Cut in half as Jeff suggested, and an extra middle rack works great if you want to cook three full slabs without any hanging out past the edge of the pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Cut in half as Jeff suggested, and an extra middle rack works great if you want to cook three full slabs without any hanging out past the edge of the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I looked at the mod to add the 3rd rack and may just have to do this. I would rather get a 22.5" WSM...
icon_wink.gif

Sheldon, get a 22 and you wont regret it. I got a 22 last year more out of wants than needs, now I don't know how I got by without it. I use it 2 to 1 over the 18 now. Yes it takes a little more charcole but it holds a lot more food plus you get away from the problems like you are having with your spares.

Sheldon, I really appreciate the extra space and speed in getting to temp with my big wsm. However, to be honest, I've found no issue with cutting slabs in half or using a third grate in my smaller wsm. You can't use the "drape test" to determine doneness when cooking half slabs, but it's no biggie.

I find that meat on the top and bottom grates are usually done before the middle rack, so lack of convenient access isn't an issue, either. A simple and non-permanent middle grate support mod is to simply use carriage bolts.My middle rack has been resting on the top of three carriage bolts that I mounted to my bottom grate like this:
http://www.virtualweberbullet....s/johnson_grate2.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_L (Big Mike):
So when you say you are doing spares and not St. Louis style does that mean you aren't trimming all the excess meat and cartilage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. I have found my kids and wife will not eat the meat that is cut off and cooked next to it, but if I leave it whole they gobble the whole thing down.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Besides, it saves time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Sheldon, I really appreciate the extra space and speed in getting to temp with my big wsm. However, to be honest, I've found no issue with cutting slabs in half or using a third grate in my smaller wsm. You can't use the "drape test" to determine doneness when cooking half slabs, but it's no biggie.

I find that meat on the top and bottom grates are usually done before the middle rack, so lack of convenient access isn't an issue, either. A simple and non-permanent middle grate support mod is to simply use carriage bolts.My middle rack has been resting on the top of three carriage bolts that I mounted to my bottom grate like this:
http://www.virtualweberbullet....s/johnson_grate2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 22.5" WSM is at the top of my wish list followed by a 26.75" kettle.

I like your 3rd grate option. I think I will be doing that this summer. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_L (Big Mike):
So when you say you are doing spares and not St. Louis style does that mean you aren't trimming all the excess meat and cartilage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. I have found my kids and wife will not eat the meat that is cut off and cooked next to it, but if I leave it whole they gobble the whole thing down.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Besides, it saves time! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love it, Sheldon. It's been too long since I cooked whole spares. I gotta try 'em on the big bullet some time soon.

Back