Frugal Grill Mod-opinions welcomed

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I have either misplaced one end cap, or lost it awhile ago and didn’t realize it.

I did just replace the casters on my Genesis 1k, and it occurred to me I could do something different (maybe it’s been done, not sure).

65432562-1B75-4685-A474-DA4CBB623D8F.jpegA4114843-B0E7-4210-81BC-584A8D7E61A1.jpeg

A few stainless screws, washers and coupling nuts put together with the old caster plugs and viola (voilà - thanks @Bob H )

01BD67C4-E663-4463-9F81-77243789DF69.jpeg
I had a piece of 1 1/4” aluminum channel

513FF195-57A5-48EB-8C84-4F3A09DEAD53.jpeg

Then I thought wood would look better- didn’t have any more teak to match the 25 year old wood on the grill currently, but did have a piece of ipe and it’s somewhat close, just for a trial run at least.

Opinions anyone?

Last edited:
I have either misplaced one end cap, or lost it awhile ago and didn’t realize it.

I did just replace the casters on my Genesis 1k, and it occurred to me I could do something different (maybe it’s been done, not sure).

View attachment 55836View attachment 55837

A few stainless screws, washers and coupling nuts put together with the old caster plugs and viola

View attachment 55838
I had a piece of 1 1/4” aluminum channel

View attachment 55839

Then I thought wood would look better- didn’t have any more teak to match the 25 year old wood on the grill currently, but did have a piece of ipe and it’s somewhat close, just for a trial run at least.

Opinions anyone?
Voila!

Great mod. Now I think you need to do another on the other side as it would make it much easier to use as a handle to move the grill around;-)
Thanks.

Seriously, a future mod is going to be some welded c channel bottom cross braces.

I don’t know about other Weber gas grills, but the existing square tube bottom braces and how they connect to the legs are a weak point on my grill- luckily it stays in one spot most of the time.

And c channel cross braces will be less likely to rust out as they won’t trap moisture, imo.

That handle is a great idea. Ironically, just yesterday I was putting the wheels back on a frame from a grill that I am rehabbing. I was putting the caster wheels back on and nearly put the inserts into the frame ends like you did instead of the legs. I think the heat and sun were a little too much yesterday for me. Hahaha.

Thanks.

Seriously, a future mod is going to be some welded c channel bottom cross braces.

I don’t know about other Weber gas grills, but the existing square tube bottom braces and how they connect to the legs are a weak point on my grill- luckily it stays in one spot most of the time.

And c channel cross braces will be less likely to rust out as they won’t trap moisture, imo.
I couldn't agree more.

In the 60s and 70s GM used "C" frames on sedans, and box frames on convertibles and wagons, because it was felt the boxes would be stronger.
Well, initially they were stronger, but as the vehicles aged the box frames rotted from the inside out, and the C frames did not deteriorate at all.
I owned a bunch of Buick Skylarks, and when 20+ years old nearly all of the convertibles had frame rot problems, some becoming unsafe to operate.
Whenever I see a rotted Weber frame I am reminded of my Skylarks.

I couldn't agree more.

In the 60s and 70s GM used "C" frames on sedans, and box frames on convertibles and wagons, because it was felt the boxes would be stronger.
Well, initially they were stronger, but as the vehicles aged the box frames rotted from the inside out, and the C frames did not deteriorate at all.
I owned a bunch of Buick Skylarks, and when 20+ years old nearly all of the convertibles had frame rot problems, some becoming unsafe to operate.
Whenever I see a rotted Weber frame I am reminded of my Skylarks.
Interesting! This good info.

Late to compliment, but that is a really sweet idea! Looks good and is a very useful addition as well. I think adding the frame end caps with a handle on one side and tool hooks on the other was one of the main improvements the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills brought over the earlier x000 grills.

Late to compliment, but that is a really sweet idea! Looks good and is a very useful addition as well. I think adding the frame end caps with a handle on one side and tool hooks on the other was one of the main improvements the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills brought over the earlier x000 grills.
Thank you.

I was using the grill earlier and the wood bar works very nicely holding the grill brush at the very least - I’ll will probably attach some hooks for other tools, but having them on the side and nothing hanging off the front is an improvement in my opinion.

Seems relatively sturdy too.

I like it a lot! It will be an extra step to change tanks but it does get the stuff on hooks out of the front. Great idea and nicely done!

Back