Frozen wings on the mini

Matthew Y

TVWBB Fan
The wife text I'm working late, make your own dinner! I rushed home and started up a full chimney. Grabbed a bag of frozen wings and started running it through cold water. I wanted to at least break the wings apart. The charcoal was ready in 10 min so I dumped it in the mini. Too eager to eat. I cut the bag and dropped the ball of wings in.

This is my first time cooking wings from frozen, so I'm sure what to expect. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the ice ball of wings. I felt embarrassed if this was going to be fail. Temp was @ 325. Took about 30 min to defrost so I can pry all the wings apart. Lately I've been really skeptic if I will ever make wings as crispy as the kettle. After 1h30m, I must say, this is the best wings I've ever made. Extremely crispy and very juicy. I'm now on the look out on CL for a large WSM. The Onion burger seasoning also taste great on wings!

Seasoned with Clubhouse Steakhouse Onion Burger

After 1 hour

Left a crack to maintain 325 temp

The waiting game with a Cohiba and some Eagle Rare on the rocks.

Wings were 195-220 in a total time of 1h 30 min.

What a perfect night :D Thanks for viewing, enjoy!

Mathew;
I would have never thought that you would end up with such great results trying frozen chicken parts. But-t-t, what do I know, huh?

Great job!!

At any rate, my favorite way to cook chicken parts (and half chickens, etc) is with a smoker without the heat deflecter/water pan. I have done them on the Mini-Joe, the 14.5" and 18.5" WSM. We always brine chicken (and thaw:rolleyes:) and it typically takes 45-50 minutes before they are done---and with crispy skin (as you also discovered).

I have done these with straight S&P seasoning, Orange Marmalade Sriracha, Webers Kickin' Chicken, and my favorite (by a slim margin) Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning. Using the Weber smokers at 325-350 (wide open) I regularly get the best wings to be had. They make commercial offerings PALE by comparison:cool:...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks!

It's my first bourbon. It has a nice caramel aroma, but weak finish imo. I was expecting a long sweet finish. :confused: Then again, I'm a newbie to bourbons.

I'm looking at smoking my first bird on my 22 WSM shortly. I've yet to have her north of 270 as all I've done so far on her was a couple of rubs and shoulders.

The idea of getting my beast of a 22 up to 325+ seems pretty daunting, but I look forward to "givin' 'er all she's got!"

Them some awesome looking wings and a great idea. Will have to keep that one in mine.

Back