Frozen Burgers

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys and gals! It has been a very long time since I have been on here. I have been a very busy man. Having three young ones is killing me. I love them all though. Tomorrow, my son is turning 1 and we are having his party on Saturday. We are expecting about 40 people. I am going to be grilling burgers and dogs for the event. My wife is on the cheap side, so she bought frozen burgers from Costco. It has been a long time since I made frozen burgers. Does anyone have any good suggestions to make these things taste halfway decent? I thought about salting them, but how well is the salt going to stick to frozen burgers. Any ideas would be great! Thank you very much!

Chuck

Salt will cling to a frozen burger, because it wil start to thaw the burger, and thus create some moisture. You might want to add som generic BBQ spice as well.
IMHO ready made burgers are salty enough already, and does not need any more salt.
Or why don't you just add some pepper/spice when they are done?

Now this may be taken as heresy, but:

I LIKE to throw-on some burgers when they're frozen. IMHO, it keeps them moist on the inside, and helps to prevent me from over-cooking them / turning them into doorstops. One or two local market have some good ground chuck burgers in 1/4 and 1/3 pound sizes.

However, I do not usually like the "cheapo" bulk frozen burgers (bubba burgers, etc.) unless I'm making something where I can anticipate them shrinking to slider-size.... (then, and only then, they make a decent snack)

-I get the fire really H-O-T
- Peel them apart with a butter knive / thick spatula
-Toss 'em on like hockey-pucks
-Flip once and add kosher salt / fresh-ground pepper
-In about 3-4 minutes, they're done!

I usually don't jazz-up the burger meat itself. I like to roll with a basic patty, and then add a good hard roll, some good REAL cheese, and some nice fresh fixin's.

We use to have season tickets to the NASCAR races here in Richmond and went to every race for about 10 years. We always took the frozen burgers to the lot for tailgating. Some of the best burgers I've ever had...the atmosphere and libations could have something to do with that though...

Like Geir said, the frozen patties, in my experience, are usually seasoned pretty well.

If you want, make some homemade condiments and use some good cheese to make them "your own".

Good luck...and happy birthday to the little one!

I agree that frozen burgers are normally seasoned well. If anything, I'd add something a little spicy to it. If you like spicy things obviously!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Now this may be taken as heresy, but:

I LIKE

-I get the fire really H-O-T
- Peel them apart with a butter knive / thick spatula
-Toss 'em on like hockey-pucks
-Flip once and add kosher salt / fresh-ground pepper
-In about 3-4 minutes, they're done!

I usually don't jazz-up the burger meat itself. I like to roll with a basic patty, and then add a good hard roll, some good REAL cheese, and some nice fresh fixin's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2.
We just did about 150 of these for my step-dad's 70th party.
I would recommend that you get your workstation all set up assembly line style. They cook real fast, so dont try to load the grill up too much. Keep the lid on and a 2-zone fire to keep flames down.

I put A-1 on them when I put them on the grill and when I turn them. My grandsons love them and so do the adults.

treat them as if they were thawed and season with a little S and P for the kids and some BBQ spice rub for the Adults. It will stick. BTW McD's and BK cook their burgers frozen and you KNOW how kids love them!
icon_smile.gif

I admit to often buying frozen Bubba burgers. They're quick, you can dig as many out of the freezer as you need and they're tasty. 6-7 minutes on hot coals gives you a crispy outside and juicy interior.

I tried thawing them once and will never do that again.

Hey guys! I didn't do anything to the burgers, I just grilled them as is. Everyone seemed to like them as I got a lot of compliments. I have a lot left over. I made sure I didn't overcook them at all, so when reheated, they are pretty decent. I am going to play with the ones I have left that are still frozen and find a new way to prepare them. I really appreciate everyone's input. I was afraid to try something new during a party, that I have not tried before myself. Like I said I will experiment and this way next time I can make them better. Thanks again!

Back