Frontier Lump

Tony Catencamp

TVWBB Member
While reading some posts on The Smoke Ring, I came across a post about Frontier Lump. I've seen good and bad posted about this lump in the past, but Sam's is carrying 40 lb. bags for $14 and some change. I picked up two bags to try, but it won't likely happen until next week sometime. Naked Whiz rates it as average. For the smokin' price, I just had to give it a try.

I looked at my Sam's and found nothing but Kingsford briquettes.
icon_mad.gif

Larry,

You might want to call them in a couple of weeks because it sounds like they just started to roll this out a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck,
Tony

Bought two bags of it at my Sam's on Saturday too. Used it saturday night for the first time, and I also give it a fair. Not as good as Royal Oak, but WAY better than Cowboy.

I see that you're in the Madison area -

You might want to call-around, and see if anybody in your area carries Grove charcoal. IMHO, it's very good stuff. If you have a Piggly Wiggly in your area, they might have it (they used to carry it, chain-wide, a while back). Otherwise, try smaller independent grocers and liquor stores in your area.

The US-made Royal Oak is decent, and you can usually find it or the green-bag "Steakhouse Lump" (which is the same stuff) at Menard's.

I've also gotten the Steakhouse Lump at Menard's, same stuff I get from Sysco when my bro orders, just a way small bag. The Frontier I find has many more real big chunks, and those are little stubborn to get lit in comparison to the small pieces.

I have used Frontier Lump from time to time. The local liquor store sells it. I have never had a problem with it. It's lump, so has the usual wide range of sizes. Never a problem getting them all lit.

This last weekend I used Trader Joe's hardwood biquettes for the first time. I like the briquette shape/size for packing the fire ring and getting a long initial burn. Smell was good (anything that's not K smells good it seems). It left more ash than I was expecting, but I will go back to see if I can get more bags.

Peter

Ron,

I have six bags of Grove in the garage! I love the stuff, but at almost half the price, I wanted to try the Frontier. Grove and Rancher / TJ's have definitely been my favorite so far. Kingsford Comp. and the Charwood were also pretty good.

Tony

I hear ya' Tony -

With Grove, I guess the price can vary a lot - depending on where you get it and how close you are to the Sheboygan area.

I have two places within walking distance:
-Sendik's (through the block) 12 bucks for 20-lbs
-Ray's 14 bucks for 20-lbs

Either way, I think it's a fair price - the stuff burns great and has nearly zero waste. Until I find something better, it's my go-to brand.

Back