Frontier lump?

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
I was in Meijer today and saw some Frontier lump charcoal. This is the first I've seen it. It came in 10 pound bags for $3.99. They claim it burns longer than any other brand of lump charcoal. The bag did seem heavy for it's size. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has seen or used this lump. I would have bought some but I just picked up a 20lb bag of Royal Oak a few minutes prior and wouldn't have been able to justify the purchase to the wife. They advertised a website on the bag but it doesn't seem to exist. Oh they also had "hardwood briquettes" under the same brand.

I've gotten great result with Lazarra brand from my local Cash & Carry. Comes in 40 pound bags for less than $20!

David, I did check Naked Whiz after I looked for their website. And like you I found nothing. I've also had Royal Oak made in Mexico and I don't see that there either. They have American, Brazilian and Argentinian though. That's a great site. I'm definately gonna grab some and try it though. When I do there will be a review posted here.

I saw some of this in my local "Ralphs" last night, although it was only 9.9 lbs and I didn't see the price. I went home and checked the NakedWhiz and found it just reviewed last month. They liked it, gave it a 4.5, but they weren't happy with the size of it. I'll give it a shot next time I'm over there, maybe this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Pearson:
I went home and checked the NakedWhiz. They liked it, gave it a 4.5, but they weren't happy with the size of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When looking at reviews at the Naked Whiz, keep in mind that test burns of the different charcoals are all done in a BGE, and the size of the pieces, chips, and dust matter because of the charcoal bowl used in a BGE. There would most likely be no issue with piece size in a WSM because it uses a charcoal grate, not a bowl or pan.
Just my $.02.

I really like it. Our local meijer doesn't seem to be getting anymore in. I bought the last few bags a few weeks ago. I just liked having a choice. The only decent lump I can find is Royal Oak. I'm not saying RO is bad I just like the frountier better. It seems to burn longer and have less ash than RO.

Back