From Trash to T-Bone

If there were no horizontal bars that connect the legs, then I'd agree with you. But on this model, I think the bottom shelf on the 2000-2001 models just sits on top of the frame, instead of clipping on to the legs.

Doh, you are right. I should have looked more closely at his pics. I just tool a 2004 Genny gild c apart last night. It only has lower cross members going front to back, not side to side. Shoot, I'm 0 for 2 with this grill. Think I'll just sit back and watch at this point.

+1 I agree. I think the wire rack simply sits on the bottom cross members.

It does.

I was thinking of a later model like this one:

20140613_212231.jpg

On those models, there's no cross member going from left to right. Only from front to back. The wire rack or full metal pan is the lateral support.

Alrighty back at ‘er

Got delayed a bit ordering the parts but that was my fault for being, well, distractable.

I got cheap ceramic grills off Amazon only because I’d like to use it.. I’ve bought a second hand cast iron set off classifieds from a town about 2-hours away that I pass through pretty regularly. I’ll use these cheapies until I can pick those up.

I also got the following:

- OE Weber burners
- OE Weber SS flavour bars
- ignitor
- Propane regulator
- Thermometer

Everything went in without a fuss and overall took about 30 minutes. I’ve got about $225 or so into it.. so a bit more than I planned on but made the call to go with (what I believe to be) higher quality parts to get some good life out of it.

I reversed the hanger for the propane tank given the layout you can see in the pictures below. That way can still monitor level and keep it off the ground. The barrel in place of where the propane tank “should” be is where I keep the charcoal for my smoker. I don’t think I’d have any use for the bottom rack so this all kind of made sense.

Biggest part of the project was building a spot to put it.. its considerably wider than the one it replaces and wouldn’t fit on the old platform — quite fine as it was from the previous owner and pretty poorly made.

Anyways built the 4’x8’ platform pictured to fit this project, my smoker, and eventually I’d like to replace the deck box at the end with a Weber Performer charcoal setup.

Cranked it up for about 25 minutes to burn off whatever coatings/cleaners/whatever that we’re introduced and then it was time to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Given that I went over budget maybe the thread should be renamed “From Trash to Tube Steak”

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a nice Tube Steak especially Chicago style. When wife and I got married we lived in the close in NW side of Chicago. For those of you who know the city corner of Kedzie and Foster. Next to our building was a Chicago style hot dog place with a twist. It was called "The Pit". Everything was charcoal grilled. So they did dogs like everywhere else instead of steaming them though they grilled them. They would go through skid loads of charcoal daily. Incredible smells too living right next door. Drove me nuts in a good way

Back